Import License

Sidewinder

Hello!

I am getting my Firearms License and would like to import my 6.5-284 from the States. The firearms officer said that I need an import license. How does that work? Where do I apply for one and how much is it going to set me back? Does this allow me to just bring my rifle back to the UK on the plane?

I am have both British and American passport, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for help,

Glenn

Your firearms licence act as your import licence as long as you have the slot on your FAC just bring it back on the plane I brought one back from Chicago no problems give me a ring.Pm sent

Last edited:
See what you can pick out of this Sidewinder http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22054
I'm sure that there is some relevant information in there somewhere, but as Geodieh says if you already own the rifle in the U.S. and you have a slot on your FAC in this country it should be quite simple to just bring it back with you on the plane.

For the personal importation of a firearm that is either already on your FAC or you have authority to purchase or possess i.e a vacant 'slot', there is no need for a specific import licence. This is applicable to imports from within the EU and outwith.

The procedure is slightly different in both cases as to documentation that must accompany the firearm if it's an EU transfer but it's all dealt with in this document: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...arrangements-firearms-and-ammunition-2015.pdf

You apply to HMRC for an import licence which is readily given. the firearm will be collected from the importation or transfer port of entry on production of an FAC with a valid entry and the production of the copy of the e-mail the HMRC send to you confirming eligibility.
The only problem you will have is getting someone in the states to sell you one and send it over. I went through this process to import a .17 hornet. The process this side of the pond was superb - all credit to HMRC, sadly no-one would play in the States. Good luck.
The internet will be your friend.

I've looked into this in the past.
Firstly, as has been said, you don't need an import license. Your FAC is all you need. You only need an import license if it's a business.

Secondly, have you looked into the export stuff you'll need from the States? Very expensive!
You're looking at $350 for the export license. This could take a while to acquire depending on the State Department. On top of that, the shipping agent will charge a small fortune. When I was looking at it it varies from $550-650.

That puts you at $900-1000 on top of the price of the rifle. Since it's coming from outside the EU you'll get charged VAT and possibly import duties (never got that confirmed).

Its still worthwhile to get something not available here but price wise you may not save that much.
I guess that's only important if that was your aim.

But would the OP need any of that if he is travelling with the rifle from the States to the UK?

If he has the vacant slot on his UK FAC couldn't he simply enter the details on there and book it in with the airline?

Yes and no. He may not need the shipping but he will still need the export license.

The export license applies to all firearms components. Doesn't apply to muzzleloaders though as they don't consider them to be firearms.

Even if it's already his own property and entered on his UK FAC? Who would know that he hadn't previously travelled into the States with it? Would save an awful lot of faffing around, or have you tried it and eventually needed to get an export licence?

Hello!

I am getting my Firearms License and would like to import my 6.5-284 from the States. The firearms officer said that I need an import license. How does that work? Where do I apply for one and how much is it going to set me back? Does this allow me to just bring my rifle back to the UK on the plane?

I am have both British and American passport, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for help,

Glenn

Good plan, you will save yourself a lot of money by cutting out UK retail RFD's.
To get good info on the paperwork required contact BIS - Unlike most Government Depts. they offer a quick and efficient email advisory service.

Even if it's already his own property and entered on his UK FAC? Who would know that he hadn't previously travelled into the States with it? Would save an awful lot of faffing around, or have you tried it and eventually needed to get an export licence?

No idea on that one mate. I looked into it as far as the cost of flights and decided that i wouldn't save money. It would likely be quicker though.

If you were found out, no matter how unlikely that may be, the punishments are severe.

Back