Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC Copy?

FAC Copy?

Does anyone know if a copy is enough to take stalking with you? Or do you need your actual licence? Is there any way you could prove it (legislation etc)?

Thanks

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I usually take a photocopy of my FAC whenever I go shooting (stalking or rabbiting). The original is normally in the car. A copy should be enough if you were stopped for any reason, as all they really need is your FAC number, then they call in and have the database checked.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Like Pippa, I took a copy of my FAC and a copy of my permission and my insurance membership cards with me.

TJ

Is there a requirement in law to carry any of these documents?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Is there a requirement in law to carry any of these documents?
    If you can't produce your FAC or atleast a copy, if stopped by the police, I think they would take a very dim view of it and you'd probably get your firearms removed from your posession, as to insurance and a copy of permission, then no requirment, but makes life easier if you are stopped by Joe Public on the ground or the police.

TJ

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    As TJ says.....this from the Home Office Guidance:

23.8 Section 48 of the 1968 Act provides that a constable may demand from any person believed to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of their firearm certificate, or, as the case may be, their shot gun certificate. Section 48(2) of the 1968 Act provides a power to seize weapons and ammunition in cases of non-compliance.

Naturally a lot will be down to the interpretation of the local constable, but personally I always carry my FAC/SGC with me when out stalking or shooting.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 06-04-2010 at 17:20.

I'm the same as Dom, I always have mine with me plus a copy in the slip/case just in case.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Thanks folks. I always carry my FAC when stalking (or any shooting). In march I was out foxing with my mate who got issued his licence about a week before-needless to say into the bog he went, FAC in back pocket! Anyway it made me think that maybe a copy woould be better on my person with the real McCoy back at the truck/lodge whatever.

Cheers

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Well, I live and learn.

No requirement to carry it, but a requirement to be able to produce it; which suggests that my (when I remember) practice of putting the FAC/SGC in the vehicle is probably a good one, as it keeps it relatively easily 'producable', but protects it from the rigours of the chase.

I have to say that I would probably not be inclined to show FAC or letters of permission to shoot to Joe Public, even if I carried them.

I'm not sure what use a copy of an FAC is given the requirements of S48 of the Act.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Dalua

I'm with you so far as showing it to Joe Public - what has it got to do with them??

The son of a friend of mine was recently approached by a member of the public when he was shooting ducks. Joe Public demanded one of the cartridges so that they could 'prove' that it was non-toxic and take it to the police. Son of friend then asked if Joe Public had a Shotgun license. On being told 'No', he told him that he would be breaking the law if he provided someone without a Shotgun license with a shotgun cartridge. Full marks to son of friend, 'nul point' to Joe Public!!

willie_gunn