Thank you?

Eyefor

In mid May I will (for non medical reasons) be meeting the surgeon who saved my life in February 2003 by replacing my aortic valve (as well as doing a de-coke etc whilst he was in there).

He had kept a close watch on me for (about) 15 years and his diagnosis was was spot on, his explanations of the events that would transpire were 100% accurate (which really comforted my family - I had the easy bit?) and allowed me to go in for open heart surgery in Papworth without an ounce of trepidation.

Since a very quick recovery I have been really well, I have seen my daughter married last year, my son will get married this November, I have put family and leisure time as my top priority and I walk the dog at least twice a day.

I still have to work - but I chose what i do and who I work with (or, more importantly, who I don't).

I shall be amazed if I don't weep in gratitude when I meet him and I know that what this surgeon does is his job, but a decent bottle of malt seems truly derisory as a thank you?

Any suggestions / share of experiences please?

Sincere thanks in advance.

Iain

Glad you have come through well. In terms of a malt depending on what you want to spend. I can highly recommend Glengoyne 21 which comes in at around £95, if you want to spend less and get him something really fruity ex sherry cask then perhaps Aberlour Abunadh which is cask strength and single batch. Beautiful stuff.

A day deer stalking a bottle of scotch and the carcass should you both be sober enough to get a shot well done ian and well done Dr
norma

well chuffed your on the mend and there is nothing wrong with a few tears mate.

real men do cry.

I wish you well.

bob.

What a wonderful story and a highly skilled man. My best wishes to you both. I think the biggest thank you is to invite him to your sons wedding.

Best wishes

Many thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to convey my thanks directly to the surgeon (if I cry, I don't care) and give him a nice 21 Y.O. Glenlivet which I think is a choice-for-all if he happens not to like the more peaty or oily malts?

In addition I have bought a "Thank You" card which I have asked my Wife plus my Son & Daughter and their respective partners to put a few words inside on how his skills have enhanced our lives. I will not read these comments, as they are not intended for me, but will pass the unopened card directly to the surgeon.

I just feel that we owe him a lot and wish to (feebly!) express our gratitude.

Thanks again for your help.

One way that you may consider going is to enquire which hospital charity he thinks most needs funds. Could be an appropriate national charity or perhaps your local hospital needs some piece of machinery that the surgeon in question would use to good effect. You could then donate to the cause. Needn't be a fortune, but whatever you think. At least that way, you have responded to his excellent work by helping to ensure others get a similar chance in life. A sense of well-being all round!

Back