your opions would be most welcome
regards pete

Bob
many thanks for the link kind regards
but the ones I'm viewing are £650 quids worth
just wanted some feedback to see what peoples thoughts were
regards pete

Pete

For £25 more you could buy a secondhand Swaro spotting scope and eyepiece from Macleod's: http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER S_H STOCK LIST.pdf

Ive not used the Hawke but the Swaro is superb.

Dom

I agree, the Swarovski CTS 85 and 20-60x eyepiece I have here only* cost £750 secondhand and the quality of the glass is superb. Sadly I'm too poor (and tight) to fork out the £200 Swarovski want for the CTS 'stay-on' case...

Adam.

* I say 'only' but that's a comparative bargain as draw scope and eyepiece are around £1,800 new now :eek:

Last edited:
I have a Hawke spotting scope with ED glass and it is actually really good, miles better than I was expecting, it replaced a Leopold I had before that which was **** in comparison.

I didn't pay anything like £650 though and as said above I think a second hand Swarovski would get my vote for that sort of money.

I'd guess the one big advantage with going the second hand route is that a 2nd hand Swaro will, in a few years, still be worth what you paid for it while this will not be the case with the Hawke. Whether this matters depends on your intentions and if you chop and change gear a lot but it is worth taking into consideration. You could run a 2nd hand Swaro, for example, for several years at no cost and that is pretty good value for money.

I'd guess the one big advantage with going the second hand route is that a 2nd hand Swaro will, in a few years, still be worth what you paid for it while this will not be the case with the Hawke. Whether this matters depends on your intentions and if you chop and change gear a lot but it is worth taking into consideration. You could run a 2nd hand Swaro, for example, for several years at no cost and that is pretty good value for money.

Totally agree. I've given the same advice to people many times. Buying good secondhand Swarovski items is like putting money in the bank and the use that you get out of it is the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the replys guys
I totally agree with the Swaro route as are all my scopes
I've got both spotters to look through this weekend
one is the ed range so will compare and make a decision
regards pete

I have a Schmidt and Bender spotting scope (drawer type) if you're interested. 15-60 x 60mm, complete with tripod. I'm after £650 for it. It wont lose money because they're quite rare.

Dom
had a good luck through both but wasn't blown away by either :cry:
Found it all a bit faffy to the extent it's put me off really
think I will definetely go the Swaro or top end route when one comes along
thanks for everyone's input :tiphat:
Regards pete

Pete, I may be wrong but I am sure my local RFD that I get my kit from had a second hand Swarovski spotting scope last week when I was in there. I am going the tomorrow so will have a look and let you know what it is and what he wants for it.

Back