Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 barrel length question

.308 barrel length question

Hello everyone. I have my eye on a second hand Sauer 202 .308 for reds in Scotland, some lowland roe and the occasional driven boar in France. the barrel seems quite short at 20 inches compared to most which seem to be a couple of inches longer. It has a moderator, I realise I would have to remove this for boar in France. Is this barrel length suitable for reds on the hill, or would I be better with. 22 inches? Or is this more about fashion like the recent trend for longer barrels on shotguns? thanks in advance for your comments / advice. Boogie.

From what I have read 308 is much less sensitive to barrel length than 243.

I've seen a 16" .308 brake plates at 1000 yards, Remington do some models straight from the factory at 20" so it won't make a blind bit of difference. If you like it buy it and if you do your part it will be more than capable of doing its....

When I finally get me FAC back, I'm going to put in for a 1-4-1 variation to swap my FN-Sauer .270 out for a Tikka .308. I'll get a 23.5" barrel to special order instead of the standard 20", even if it has to be threaded afterwards.

No problem as long as you stick to normal stalking distance ,I use a 270 with a 18 inch barrel never had any problems,

search on here
    there is a SWAT article where they moved all their 308's to 18" and they have arguably higher accuracy needs than most!

I don't think it makes a tremendous difference to the ballistics, but the longer barreled ones are far more pleasant to shoot unmoderated. Much less blast and flip. I really like having a 24" barrel, and much prefer to shoot unmoderated because it makes the rifle so much more comfortable to carry and use.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Roncon1 View Post
    I've seen a 16" .308 brake plates at 1000 yards, Remington do some models straight from the factory at 20" so it won't make a blind bit of difference. If you like it buy it and if you do your part it will be more than capable of doing its....
    Excellent answer sir and correct i'm sure.
    But how long will it be before the ballistic "experts" start with their skcollob about an extra half inch gives you a lb extra of this and a few inches of that?

I have one of these (the P4)https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/...pecifications/ and as you can see it has a 16inch barrel. It is extremely accurate and is very capable of doing what you require at normal stalking distances. There will be those who quote from books and those that quote from experience. In such cases I would take the advice of those that quote from experience.

The RPA Woodland Stalker rifle has a 16" barrel and seems to work quite nicely!