Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes a 85????

What makes a 85????

In peoples opinion what makes a Sako 85 inferior to a Sako 75 ? I have heard it a lot "oh the 85 isn't a patch of the older 75" I have owned both and to be honest apart from the mag release "TLC" I didn't see that much between them quality wise, in fact I can say I liked the rubberised feel to the 85's stock better than the plastic feel of the 75's stock, I only ask because I've got my heart set on a 75 in .270, but they seem to be few and far between, and having just sold a 85 in .25-06 I'm beginning to wonder if I did the right thing? I dare say if it had been in .270 it would still be here, opinions please.
    Jase.

Get a Finnbear in .270, with a proper 24" barrel...

Been done on here before Jase:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...o-75-v-sako-85
    I do have 2 Sako 75's by the way, one is a stainless synthetic 25.06, but I would never sell it!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I do have 2 Sako 75's by the way, one is a stainless synthetic 25.06, but I would never sell it!
    MS
    Cheers for that MS, interesting it seems very little in opinion between them, just like I thought

I have heard of some folk having extract problems with the controlled feed bolt of the 85.

I have both myself, 85 in .243 and 75 which started life as a .308 but I had it worked on, restocked and rebarelled to 7mm-08. I really like both of them.

If I have any niggles at all to report, I would say sometimes the bolt does not pick up the next round too well with the 75, but I think that is a bit of work wanted on the magazine and nothing to do with the action.

got both some say 75 some say 85 like both hate the bolt lock on the 75 but saying that it has't gone wrong as yet

John R : I also had my 75 semi custom 6.5x47 play up on the #2#4 round, found it to be the mag as I had a 22-250 mag and needed the lips to have a bit filed off on the r/h side to prevent the round laying down and diving into the action and not up to the chamber if that helps ,I just copied a .243 now works faultlessly .
    Last edited by paul o'; 01-05-2015 at 15:33.

Both have CONETROL Dap-Tar mounts and projectionless rings available for them so go for either.

Cheers!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    +1 and don't be tempted to cut /thread it either if it's not been done .
    norma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    Something we can agree on.

I loved my Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic in 25-06 I bought the same in .300 Win Mag.

Doubt I will ever sell either.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    There's a nice Sako AV with Swarovski scope for sale with a 22" barrel, Any good?