Silage time again

Cyres

Quick call last night discovered that grass mowing was underway so quick cup of tea and out, picked up number one son and off to a farm we haven't been arround for a while. I was surprised at 8.20pm not to see a fox on 60 acres of mown grass, we parked up under an oak tree and awaited events. I'm not sure why but something caught my eye and the bins revealed a very dark roe buck on the opposite hedge row but before I could get on him he melted away through the hedge, typical.

Anyway was all very quiet, then had a quick sweep with the thermal and hey presto faint glow on the hedge row opposite us. My son caught a glimps of a fox with the Leicas, I was on the back of the truck with the Leupold up on x14 and could just make out the back of a small fox as it worked its way in a tram line by the hedge, it was hunting down the grass and I tracked it , unfortunately it stopped opposite a gap in the swath so a 60 grn V max went through its shoulders, slightly strange strike but it went down. We waited for another 30 mins but nothing else to be seen.

The fox turned out to be a tiny barren vixen in good condition bullet straight through front shoulders. So well pleased 189yds on the rangefinder.

We checked out another couple of fields of mown grass saw two foxs but both unsafe to shoot, but by 10 pm clear, still and very bright moon and freezing so we called it a night.

Must say its the earliest I have seen grass mown.

I expect another foray tonight and Sat am.

D

nice one it did change here last night warm at first odd spots of rain,then as you say it cleared up went frosty full moon and dead still rubbish for bunnie zeroed my 6,5 then swapped over too my 22 i thought unwisely i would bag a few bunnies and then lie in wait but sods law walked straight into two foxes no shot ,and no bunnies,,,,ps it was crunch time on my mod a s5 ase ,25 off my 223 it works great!so happy days,atb doug,

Last edited:
Cut silage field , the grass is just starting to grow here

Our conversation during the drive to Yorkshire Roe grounds last week, centred around how far behind the signs of spring were, compared to Cheshire, all our daffs are gone & hedgerows in full green leaf, where we went still had standing blooms of daffs & bare hedgerows.

Our conversation during the drive to Yorkshire Roe grounds last week, centred around how far behind the signs of spring were, compared to Cheshire, all our daffs are gone & hedgerows in full green leaf, where we went still had standing blooms of daffs & bare hedgerows.

It's grim 'oop north.

I cant believe the change so quick over a couple of weeks the grass is knee high,in cheshire this is,,,,i lost sight of a fox that i tracked across one field completely and the weather is upside down hail and sleet and then 16 degrees the next bright sun,

In the last 4 weeks down here the rape has gone from a green carpet that you could shoot over on a bipod to a 2ft high yellow forrest that hides everything. Farmers seem to have gone rape mad, bloody stuff is everywhere. I'm off the arable and hedgerows now and into the high seats again. Finding it much more productive but not nearly as much fun.

And having to go back to baiting up for the foxes to get them out into the open rather than lamping.

I cant believe the change so quick over a couple of weeks the grass is knee high,in cheshire this is,,,,i lost sight of a fox that i tracked across one field completely and the weather is upside down hail and sleet and then 16 degrees the next bright sun,
it must be our grass you have down there ,we can see the roots

Silage is way off cutting up here, and as for rabbits they are like hens teeth around this neck of the woods.

M

Back