Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What part of rifle is firearm.

What part of rifle is firearm.

I have a RWS Titan which is a switch barrel. The bolt locks into the back of the barrel not into a receiver as such. The only part of the gun with a serial nos is the barrel.
    Is the bolt classed as a firearm on my licence or could I have two bolts in my possession. ???
    Steve.

The bolt is considered a component part and as such is a prohibited part and must be listed on your FAC.

See this, chapter 13...............https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...35385/0088.pdf

Also from the CPS:
    "component parts". R v Clarke (F), 82 Cr App R 308, CA states that the component part of a prohibited weapon is itself a prohibited weapon. Although there is no statutory definition, the Home Office Guidance to the Police at paragraph 13.70 states the following:
    The term "component part" may be held to include (i) the barrel, chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and furniture are not considered component parts.

Thanks CharlieT,
    That answers my question.
    Cheers Steve.

Mauser and Blaser bolts and bolt heads are not prohibited as you can buy them and have them posted out no problem

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    The bolt is considered a component part and as such is a prohibited part and must be listed on your FAC.

See this, chapter 13...............https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...35385/0088.pdf

Also from the CPS:
    "component parts". R v Clarke (F), 82 Cr App R 308, CA states that the component part of a prohibited weapon is itself a prohibited weapon. Although there is no statutory definition, the Home Office Guidance to the Police at paragraph 13.70 states the following:
    The term "component part" may be held to include (i) the barrel, chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and furniture are not considered component parts.
    Good to see we don't need to put our sofas on the tickets
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Good to see we don't need to put our sofas on the tickets
    I asked permission to acquire a Lay-Z-Boy recliner with a fridge in the arm and massage function, but was told no as I couldn't provide Good Reason.
    That was by the wife though, not the FEO...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    Mauser and Blaser bolts and bolt heads are not prohibited as you can buy them and have them posted out no problem
    That is absolutely true ..... but am not really sure why?

Any pressure bearing part was my understanding. I have barrels and boltheads listed on my ticket for the 204 and 300wm barrels I have slots for as well as the 6.5x55 r8 parent rifle.. So that would mean the bolt head would be a component part. My force certainly see it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Any pressure bearing part was my understanding. I have barrels and boltheads listed on my ticket for the 204 and 300wm barrels I have slots for as well as the 6.5x55 r8 parent rifle.. So that would mean the bolt head would be a component part. My force certainly see it that way
    I have gone for the separate permission too .... but I still believe Markfox's assertion is correct .... well certainly for some dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    That's as maybe, but once you assemble the two components, you have a pressure bearing part. The bolt body on its own can't bear pressure, niether can the bolt head. Put them together and they can. It's the same with a Lee Enfield bolt.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.