Carl Zeiss Jena

old keeper

I came across a Carl Zeiss Jena pair of binoculars the other day they were 7x40 B GA. I was a bit surprised at how good they were. Clearly ex military from the second world war I guess, they had no focussing as they were in focus at all times. I've not come across this type before. The picture from close up to a very long way away was sharp and clear.

Has anyone had any experience of these and what do you call this type of binocular?

Yup

Auto focus ex German mil spec glass,

I had some a few years back and sold them of when I was laid of work and had to,raise funds, top glass and worth every penny, I sold mine for around £400"

Bob

If they're the ones I'm thinking of they are often called "Checkpoint Charlie" binos, as they were Cold War era rather than WW2. They are still made today by Docter (the re-branded Carl Zeiss Jena) and are called the Hubertus Pro Hunting, see: Docter 7x40 B - binoculars specification - allbinos.com

I had a pair and they were excellent. I only sold them when I upgrade to my Swaro EL's. As you say, they are focus-free, use BaK-4 roof prisms and have rubber armour.

My only criticism of them would be that the coatings give them a slightly warm "cast", but they are really none the worse for that. Also the pair I used to have had plastic objective covers that clipped over the rubber on the lenses. These covers used to click when you walked along with the objective uncovered, but I got used to them and the deer didn't seem to mind!

Last edited:
Back