Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .204 for Roe in Scotland?

.204 for Roe in Scotland?

Hi,

I am about to purchase a .204 Ruger for fox as i have heard great things about the accuracy and effectiveness if the calibre. It came up in conversation that Scotland does not specify a min calibre for Roe and as such the .204 with a 50gr would be perfectly legal and humane.

'For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.'

I don't think there is a factory 50gr yet but home loading is possible. I do all my Roe stalking in Scotland and was interested if anyone uses the .204 on Roe and if it is effective, I obviously do not want to run the risk of injuring.

Any opinions on the .204 for Scottish Roe?

It is a thought I have had for some time since I first read about .20 calibres. I think there are a couple of hurdles to overcome:

1 Sourcing an appropriate expanding bullet of 50 or more grains.
    2 Ensuring that the twist of the .204 is fast enough to stabilise these heavier bullets.

I am sure you have looked at the following page: http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html

The rifle that caught my eye was the 20 Practical and I am sure someone could build a 20 Practical that would be legal for roe in Scotland.
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 06-04-2010 at 16:25.

Hi,

Indeed, I found that site and was curious if the 50gr Berger was suitable for the .204, but again the stability in a 1 in 12 is a concern.
    As most of the Roe i shoot are under 100yds I wasn't sure if the accuracy was likely to be too affected over those distances.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by .308STEYR View Post
    Hi,

Indeed, I found that site and was curious if the 50gr Berger was suitable for the .204, but again the stability in a 1 in 12 is a concern.
    As most of the Roe i shoot are under 100yds I wasn't sure if the accuracy was likely to be too affected over those distances.

cheers
    Isn't the minimum calibre 22? Or is bullet diameter not mentioned in the Scotish act?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Hi,

The Scottish act does not appear to specify a min calibre, only grains and muzzle energy.

My main concern is will a 50gr .204 be humane and effective on Roe?

cheers

If you had to shoot them with a 20 then it would be a 20br with 50g round for me.

Saying that i would get a 223 and shoot light 40's on fox and 50/55 s on the roe.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by .308STEYR View Post
    Hi,

cheers
    a 50gr berger will not shoot in a 12 twist barrel,in my prac 20 only fired 2 rounds both went through the target sideways and 8'' apart at 100yrds
    atb paul

Quote Originally Posted by pnse View Post
    a 50gr berger will not shoot in a 12 twist barrel,in my prac 20 only fired 2 rounds both went through the target sideways and 8'' apart at 100yrds
    atb paul
    Yeah, i heard the 50gr in a 12 twist was unpredictable, but i didnt realise that bad !

I read some US forums and there is a lot of chatter about 10 twist being optimum for the .204 if heavier projectiles are intended and apparently it doesnt need to be a custom barrel job either, Thompson Center now do a bolt action 10 twist interestingly with 5 groove rifling not 6. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

This is not a rifle brand i have heard much about, but US forums seem positive, anyone got experience of the Thompson Center Venture rifles?

cheers

You need a 1:9 twist to stabilise the 50gr Berger. My .20 Tac has that twist and shoots the 50grs into sub 1/4s. Aas for whether it is a suitable bullet for Roe... Well a 50gr Berger from a .222 would be legal so why not? No animal will know the difference (it's .019" difference and I have never met a Roe that could decipher thousandths very well).. In addition the .20 cal carries energy better than the .22s due to better ballistics.

The 50s seem to be a little to stiff for foxes so they may be reasonable on Roe. Don't know and won't try it cos my .20 Tac rig weighs over 15lbs and it's a hog to carry!

I'll carry on using my ppc or .308 for them.

Regards

Gareth

Don`t want to rattle anyones cage but why would you want to use such a small calibre for such a, in this case, big animal?? I think you are asking for trouble, poor bullet selection, wind drift ...

Personally I think the 6mm are as close to ideal you can come but that`s just me.

//Rolf