Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 reload for the new rifle

.270 reload for the new rifle

Hello all,

I've been interested in reloading for some time and have have had a go with my previous rifle, also a .270.

The accuracy has not been incredible and it could be in part down to me and the rifle, and the fact that the rounds have not been created in laboratory conditions - rather the old garage!

I have a sako 85 stainless with an ASE northstar (I think) moderator being packed up for collection in a few days time and I wandered if I should follow a different practice this time. Start from scratch.

I've previously used H4381 with Speer 130gr. spitzer boat tails starting with minimum powder load and working up to maximums with no real change in accuracy.

I'm curious to know what loads other .270 home loaders are using for deer (I shoot Roe, Red, and Sika so I'm looking for a 1 size fits all). And any advice you could give to a relative novice with a shiny new rifle on the way.

Many thanks,

DC .270

Nosler 130grain Partitions are Par Excellence in my Sako, had reasonable results with Remington 130 flat base too.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi. I like the nosler 130 & 150 gr partitions with H4350 and group well throw my sako 75. I use federal & Norma cases with Remington primers. Nosler are a bit pricy so working up sierra 130 gr pro hunters and plan to give them a try later in the year. The pro hunters are half the price and reports are good.

Smithy

Hi mate now sold my .270 but had some very accurate loads with Hornady 130grn interlock sp over reloader 22

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Hello all,

I've been interested in reloading for some time and have have had a go with my previous rifle, also a .270.

The accuracy has not been incredible and it could be in part down to me and the rifle, and the fact that the rounds have not been created in laboratory conditions - rather the old garage!

I have a sako 85 stainless with an ASE northstar (I think) moderator being packed up for collection in a few days time and I wandered if I should follow a different practice this time. Start from scratch.

I've previously used H4381 with Speer 130gr. spitzer boat tails starting with minimum powder load and working up to maximums with no real change in accuracy.

I'm curious to know what loads other .270 home loaders are using for deer (I shoot Roe, Red, and Sika so I'm looking for a 1 size fits all). And any advice you could give to a relative novice with a shiny new rifle on the way.

Many thanks,

DC .270
    Try altering the seating depth and nothing else. It can be startling the difference it can make.

You might also try flat based bullets, more bearing surface , but bear in mind that soem barrels are just fussier than others. I picked up a BSA 1st Pattern Monach and it would not shoot anything I had on hand accurately not even proven handloads for other rifles all of which are also BSA's. so I brought some different factory ammo to try. Speer Nitrex was awful, like a shotgun, but the Federal Fusion 150 grain it likes ...................... go figure .

130gn Hornady Interlock SP set at calibre depth over 60gns of H4831 works in every .270 I've tried - fairly fast but very accurate. 60gns of RL22 works well too, as does Vihtavouri N160.

For a slower load, try a 130gn Sierra Pro Hunter over 42.5gns of H4895 and for a frangible fast load, try a 110gn V-Max over 59gns of H4831.

Obviously the usual caveats apply when reloading - start low and work up to your' rifle's sweet spot whilst watching for pressure signs etc, plus you'll need to find your rifle's ideal COL for each load.

Adam.

[QUOTE=Brithunter;91477]Try altering the seating depth and nothing else. It can be startling the difference it can make.
    QUOTE]

Absolutely right.

If you are not getting much improvement with varying the powder charge, settle on a charge weight/velocity you are happy with and then start altering the seating in 20thou/0.5mm increments. 0.5 - 1.0mm difference either way can make a huge difference to accuracy.

Using a chronograph when doing this can be very helpful.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Account Suspended
    All the info here on different bullet types and weights
    Personally I use VARGET pushing 130g Nosler Partitions

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 06-04-2010 at 18:31.

The target below was shot with your choice of bullet, the Speer 130gr SPBT.
    Using the Hornady 140gr Spirepoint instead prints the shots about one inch higher on the target.
    I have shot most species of Deer with that loading and have had no complaints of excessive damage.
    My rifle is a Carl Gustaf Mod.2000 .270 Win.
    [Since firing that card I tweaked the sights over,]

HWH

This is all great stuff... and I can see a long day in between the press and the field one day shortly after getting the new rifle. I'll be printing this page and following your advice.

I had wondered about seating previously but had been a bit naive in thinking how much half a mil could change things.

Thank you.