Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a tripod fixing point to,a spotting scope?

Adding a tripod fixing point to,a spotting scope?

Hi folks

Probably not possible,but I have a short single draw Graham's of Inverness spotting scope, now 99.9% of my stalking is roe on open farmland so i sit from afar and spy .....but I'm struggling to get a steady lean ....mi have a cheap hawk with the window clamp which. Is ideal but eyepiece is at 45 degrees so not ergonomic , where as the if I could use the Graham's as its straight ...would be far more comfortable / better viewing ......many one know if you can get a small bit to fix / araldite on with the tripod screw hole?

Paul

You could simply get a spare tripod mounting plate and araldite it to the scope, or if you don't want to modify anything, Bushnell do a tripod mount for binos/rangefinders that should work. It has an enlarged mounting plate with a rubber pad on top and a QD Cordura strap to keep the optic in place. A similar but more rugged model is available here.

HTH

Mr.G.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

That's an idea Mr g.

My mates just mentioned tripod collars , apparently used for holding big long lenses ...just a kind of fancy up market jubilee clip with a tripod plate on it.... Might go to a camera shop or like see if have any same diameter as body of scope then that would eliminate modifying it at all.

Hopefully something like that anyway

Paul

What about the "Parker Hale" type tripod, that uses springs to hole the telescope tube in a yoke. Or make yourself a tripod with short plastic coated canes and some o rings

If you want to go toolless, search for "breakaway coaster". They're sold in Ebay etc. They're kind of quick detach plastic jubilee clips.

Using one or two you can attach tripod plate or just a piece of metal or plastic that has the correct threaded hole.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    That's an idea Mr g.

My mates just mentioned tripod collars , apparently used for holding big long lenses ...just a kind of fancy up market jubilee clip with a tripod plate on it.... Might go to a camera shop or like see if have any same diameter as body of scope then that would eliminate modifying it at all.

Hopefully something like that anyway

Paul
    A tripod collar is what I was thinking of too. I have one for my 100-300mm lens and it makes a huge difference in terms of weight distribution. If you search for them on eBay you'll find plenty, though the trick will be getting one of the right diameter for your long glass.

If you're spying from a car window then you might actually find you'll be better off with a bean bag. These are the Gold standard, but again you can find plenty on eBay: http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies....tandard-1.html

This is what I fill the bean bag with: 1kg HDPE Plastic Pellets Granules. Suitable for stuffing, weighting, decoration | eBay
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Wasn't great with bean bag Willie
    Think like you say collar ...
    Will have to just go into few places and try I think till I find one right diameter

Paul

Think Grahames a collar for this very purpose. Have a quick search on the interweb.

sauer check google for gorillapods, maybe cheap too,
    DONT START

Gorilla pods only use if I can get a tripod "socket" on the scope , there's nowt on it to screw a tripod to.

I have a couple good points I can sit with a cup o tea with window clamp and get a good steady support with the window clamp .... Just need to get the other scope able to go on window clamp.

Cheers tho

Paul