Firearms ticket back.......

NigelM

Got the certificate back at last. 6 weeks waiting for a visit and another 5 waiting for the ticket to be issued.

It's almost correct. Two issues that I'm wondering about sending it back to have corrected but reluctant to do so as I am likely to be without a ticket for another couple of months while they process the changes. I wondered what the collective wisdom is about whether or not to send it back?

1. They have given me permission to purchase a 280AI. However, in the "additional conditions" they state they the "270AI may be used to shoot deer and AOLQ"

2. In the ammunition section they allow me to purchase 280AI ammunition which is fine, but then also 280AI exp bullets. Surely this should be 7mm exp bullets which is what I requested.

Would you send it back for correction or not worry?

Any gunshop will know that a .280 takes 7mm or .284" bullets. Just as if you had, the other way around a 7.62x51 on your certificate (think some target rifles especially P-Hale target types) so marked on the barrel) they would sell you American bullets that ALL in that calibre just say ".308" or ".30" on their boxes. So they will sell them.

Just as they will sell some boxes of (mainly continental made) bullets marked only as "6mm" for those with 243 Winchester rifles.

As I am sure you know the parent .280 Remington (I have one made on a Mauser 98 in Belgium in the 1960s) was at one time called 7mm Remington Express. Ditto going the other way the 6mm Remington was, once, called the .244 Remington. So the larger swapped a metric for an imperial "moniker" and the smaller an imperial for a metric "moniker".

But 1). is wrong and does need correcting as a mistake does not allow you to self correct it by using your .280AI for deer.

My advice? Purchase your .280AI, purchase your bullets, enough to set you up and some extra, purchase your PRIMERS (you'll need to show the FAC to do this) and then, and only then send the FAC back for correction.

If possible ask for a covering e-mail or letter stating the .270AI was an error and that you ARE allowed to use the .280AI for deer and AOLQ. So that as it remains valid whilst with them that letter makes it clear that you are allowed to use your .280AI as requested for that purpose.

Last edited:
Nigel,
do you have access to 280AI factory ammo, or will you have to fire form 280 Rem ammo?
if it's the latter you will need to get 280 Rem ammo on your ticket.
i'm going through a similar thing now with 243 & 243AI with GMP. Ticket gone back for 3rd time for correction.
regards,Ken.

Any gunshop will know that a .280 takes 7mm or .284" bullets. Just as if you had, the other way around a 7.62x51 on your certificate (think some target rifles especially P-Hale target types) so marked on the barrel) they would sell you American bullets that ALL in that calibre just say ".308" or ".30" on their boxes. So they will sell them.

Just as they will sell some boxes of (mainly continental made) bullets marked only as "6mm" for those with 243 Winchester rifles.

As I am sure you know the parent .280 Remington (I have one made on a Mauser 98 in Belgium in the 1960s) was at one time called 7mm Remington Express. Ditto going the other way the 6mm Remington was, once, called the .244 Remington. So the larger swapped a metric for an imperial "moniker" and the smaller an imperial for a metric "moniker".

But 1). is wrong and does need correcting as a mistake does not allow you to self correct it by using your .280AI for deer.

My advice? Purchase your .280AI, purchase your bullets, enough to set you up and some extra, purchase your PRIMERS (you'll need to show the FAC to do this) and then, and only then send the FAC back for correction.

If possible ask for a covering e-mail or letter stating the .270AI was an error and that you ARE allowed to use the .280AI for deer and AOLQ. So that as it remains valid whilst with them that letter makes it clear that you are allowed to use your .280AI as requested for that purpose.

Thanks for that.

2. as I expected.

1. Does the fact that there are no "additional conditions" for my 280AI (as oposed to the non existant 270AI which I am not allowed to own) not mean that I can do what I like with the 280AI - no conditional use having been stated?

Nigel,
do you have access to 280AI factory ammo, or will you have to fire form 280 Rem ammo?
if it's the latter you will need to get 280 Rem ammo on your ticket.
i'm going through a similar thing now with 243 & 243AI with GMP. Ticket gone back for 3rd time for correction.
regards,Ken.

Good thought, but Nosler make 280AI brass in their custom range which I will be using.

Good thought, but Nosler make 280AI brass in their custom range which I will be using.

Oooh! :-| Be aware that, so the American Forums say, Nosler's excellent brass sild by them as 280AI is not quite exactly the same as 280AI made to original Ackley specification but OK for the "new" now registered SAAMI specification. Or some such tomfoolery.

280 Ackley Improved Alert | GunsmithTalk

Happy reading...but then see below so all might now be changed. AT TOP OF THE ABOVE IT SAYS READ THIS LINK FIRST.

It leads here.

280 Ackley Improved Emperical Headspace Test | GunsmithTalk

They may be a Lot Number that Nosler can provide, by e-mail reply, as to what of their brass is and isn't. Unless it is all "urban myth"?

Here's a link about the reloading dies.

New and Improved: The .280 Ackley Improved - RifleShooter

I was lucky in that my rifle was in standard 280 Remington, being Belgium so as it was at that time a prohibited calibre a 30-06 substitute, and not Improved even though to muddy the matter standard Belgian proof has the letters IMP after the cartridge. Even though it isn't...it means "Imperial" and is on any Belgian proved British or American "inch" measured cartridge chambered rifles of the period I was told.

Last edited:
Oooh! :-| Be aware that, so the American Forums say, Nosler's excellent brass sild by them as 280AI is not quite exactly the same as 280AI made to original Ackley specification but OK for the "new" now registered SAAMI specification. Or some such tomfoolery.

280 Ackley Improved Alert | GunsmithTalk

Happy reading...but then see below so all might now be changed. AT TOP OF THE ABOVE IT SAYS READ THIS LINK FIRST.

It leads here.

280 Ackley Improved Emperical Headspace Test | GunsmithTalk

They may be a Lot Number that Nosler can provide, by e-mail reply, as to what of their brass is and isn't. Unless it is all "urban myth"?

Already covered this. I have had it chambered to the new SAAMI spec used by Nosler, not the original Ackley spec.

Hi Nigel,
Your location is down as 'The South' whereabouts is that as I live in the South too, south of Bristol !
I have recently had a variation in no time at all but my coterminous renewal comes up at the end of the year and if this slow down of paperwork by Firearms departments is a new trend then I could be in trouble.

Hi Nigel,
Your location is down as 'The South' whereabouts is that as I live in the South too, south of Bristol !
I have recently had a variation in no time at all but my coterminous renewal comes up at the end of the year and if this slow down of paperwork by Firearms departments is a new trend then I could be in trouble.

Sunny Essex. They used to be great, only 12 months ago I had my renewal done and dusted in 3 weeks. The department has been decimated since by the cuts and they just can't keep up.

Essex Police have just insisted that a good friend of mine surrendered all his guns to his local RFD for safe keeping as his renewal had not come back in before the old one expired. He put in for his renewal 5 months before the expiry date!

The only reason mine was so "quick" was that I called the FO and made an appointment with him rather than let the process take it's course.

I bought my 280 Remington as I think it more useful than any 270 Winchester. Your 280AI will offer all those advantages and make a good cartridge even better and without the silly and pointless pseudo "belt" of the 7mm Remington Magnum. So no feeding issues and that extra round in the magazine.

The Americans don't understand that last point when I make it. They obviously have never stalked in horrible wet weather where you want all the cartridges in the magazine (but the chamber empty) until the final approach. Or undertake any sort of culling.

Hi nigel,
Thanks for that, it's not too close to me so I may not have the same problem when my renewal time comes, thank goodness.

I bought my 280 Remington as I think it more useful than any 270 Winchester. Your 280AI will offer all those advantages and make a good cartridge even better and without the silly and pointless pseudo "belt" of the 7mm Remington Magnum. So no feeding issues and that extra round in the magazine.

The Americans don't understand that last point when I make it. They obviously have never stalked in horrible wet weather where you want all the cartridges in the magazine (but the chamber empty) until the final approach. Or undertake any sort of culling.

The 280AI has replaced a 7RemMag. Bloody thing kicked like a mule and did nothing for my accuracy, and that belted case was not smooth to load. I think this should be a much nicer calibre.

I do like the 7's and the 6.5's. There is something very elegant about long slim bullets, not to mention their efficiency when the wind is blowing or on those longer shots.

Hi,

Wiltshire FAL are currently two or more weeks behind on renewals so get it in early and avoid the misery.

Not their fault I'm sure, but I'm facing the costs and disruption of storage for my FAC rated guns in the absence of a S7 temporary license, whilst they clear the backlog.

Send it back with a cover letter pointing out the mistake. On mine I asked for a .308 & mod and a .303. Got a .308. .303 and a .303 mod. Mistakes happen. Will be an easy sort. Just after the hand gun ban I got mine back with all the handguns off but could still have the ammo ?

Back