Thread: Catching first call bird

Catching first call bird

Just been given a larsen trap to run in my garden. Surrouding area area full of Magpies, Jackdaws and Crows. It's a double catch type and the race is on to catch the first decoy. I've made a fake 'nest' with 4 hen's eggs in the one half and a belly-up split rabbit in the other half.
    Just wondering if anyone knows of anyway I can improve my chances of getting the first one.
    Any suggestions welcome
    ATB Lee

I have tried with eggs with very slow success each year, This year I tried with chunks of frozen tripe(on top and inside the trap) from a pet food shop and caught a pair of magpies next morning. You're a bit late starting but still in time to save second clutches of songbirds who have lost their first clutch to the corvids. I have 3 crows at the moment if anyone wants to collect them.

Eggs on top! mirror in call bird section with an egg, bantams or pheasant eggs work better than hens eggs .
    good luck
    norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 02-05-2015 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Eggs on top! mirror in call bird section with an egg, bantams or pheasant eggs work better than hens eggs .
    good luck
    norma
    I like it!

Thankyou very much norma 308 you are a genius! Your advice worked in less than an hour!
    Call-bird now in trap, hope many more to follow
    ATB Lee

No problem mate ,I feed the same dried dog food to the maggies as I feed the dogs and a tin of chum now and again this seems to prolong the call birds life .
    it is amazing how they dislike their own reflection so much ha
    well done
    norma