Red Dot

megsjockey

Is a Red Dot actually of any real use in UK Stalking terms? They seem to pop-up everywhere you turn these days but I can't see the purpose of them. Please can you enlighten me as to the attraction? :D

Is a Red Dot actually of any real use in UK Stalking terms? They seem to pop-up everywhere you turn these days but I can't see the purpose of them. Please can you enlighten me as to the attraction? :D

Not really - my eotech was a bugger to zero first time too - good for boar though....

I use an Aimpoint 'Hunter S34' on a .308 short and light deer rifle.

Positives:
Great for short distance quick shots in dense woodland in particular at the always-on-the-move Muntjac.
Both eyes open shooting therefore much increased peripheral vision (safety!)
No need to line up eyes with crosshairs or adjust focus or 'dial in' so much quicker to take a shot with.
Good groups achievable up to around 100 Yards
Top-end Red dots have just a 1 or 2 MOA red dot covering the target area. at 100 Yards
Good set-up for if and when wild boar gets on your quarry list, as well for Continental visits on driven deer/wild boar
Great if you, as I do, like to stalk during the day on a sunny Winter day (11am to 3PM)

Disadvantages:
No magnification so not great for longer distance shots
10-15 min. less useable light compared to a scope
I use this set up with a Ching-sling, carry the rifle cradled in my arms and not over my shoulder for a quick shot, and leave my stick at home.
Traditionalist stalkers will tut-tut disapprovingly and tell you 'it is just not done' in the UK. Or they will tell you UK stalking is not suitable for a red dot sight, without necessarily having tried it.

Scope or Red dot?
When I am out with a more traditional scoped set-up I sometimes miss an opportunity for a quick shot when a deer pops up just in front of you, and wish I had taken my other rifle with the red dot sight.
When I am out with the red dot set-up I sometimes miss an opportunity for a long-distance (say over 100 Yards) shot, and I loose the light just a little earlier than I would have otherwise.

I use an Aimpoint 'Hunter S34' on a .308 short and light deer rifle.

Positives:
Great for short distance quick shots in dense woodland in particular at the always-on-the-move Muntjac.
Both eyes open shooting therefore much increased peripheral vision (safety!)
No need to line up eyes with crosshairs or adjust focus or 'dial in' so much quicker to take a shot with.
Good groups achievable up to around 100 Yards
Top-end Red dots have just a 1 or 2 MOA red dot covering the target area. at 100 Yards
Good set-up for if and when wild boar gets on your quarry list, as well for Continental visits on driven deer/wild boar
Great if you, as I do, like to stalk during the day on a sunny Winter day (11am to 3PM)

Disadvantages:
No magnification so not great for longer distance shots
10-15 min. less useable light compared to a scope
I use this set up with a Ching-sling, carry the rifle cradled in my arms and not over my shoulder for a quick shot, and leave my stick at home.
Traditionalist stalkers will tut-tut disapprovingly and tell you 'it is just not done' in the UK. Or they will tell you UK stalking is not suitable for a red dot sight, without necessarily having tried it.

Scope or Red dot?
When I am out with a more traditional scoped set-up I sometimes miss an opportunity for a quick shot when a deer pops up just in front of you, and wish I had taken my other rifle with the red dot sight.
When I am out with the red dot set-up I sometimes miss an opportunity for a long-distance (say over 100 Yards) shot, and I loose the light just a little earlier than I would have otherwise.

I've never really looked in to it other than for my .410, but does nobody do the military style red dot with a flip-over magnifying tube? That would surely be the best of both worlds.

I've never really looked in to it other than for my .410, but does nobody do the military style red dot with a flip-over magnifying tube? That would surely be the best of both worlds.

Eotech + Magnifier = around £1,200 :eek: you typically get around 3-4x mag.

I have a 'cheaper' version on my S&W M&P 15-22 - top fun at around 60yds :thumb:

Back