Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise on 16" .308 load

Advise on 16" .308 load

Just about to start loading for a 16" .308.

2 loads required, possibly.

1. Woodland/Arable deer, mainly Fallow, Roe and munties, shots out to about 150 yds max, most well inside that.
    2. Driven Boar

I would like to use Barnes bullets but not sure the velocity is going to be high enough to get proper expansion. I don't want excessive meat damage but do want to put them down quickly.

Perceived wisdom says that short barrels suffer significant velocity/energy drop with light for calibre bullets but heavy for calibre are much less effected. It also says to get the best from a Barnes you need to be pushing it along pretty quickly.

I'm leaning towards a 165 grain partition for both jobs. It will probably be travelling somewhere between 2500fps and 2600 fps at the muzzle and the partition should expand very effectively at those velocities at the ranges I will be shooting over.

I will need a fast burning powder to make sure it's all burnt in the short barrel length. Leaning towards starting with IMR4895 at the moment.

For those who are playing with such a rifle, what have you found works particularly well? Have you successfully used something like a 130 grain Barnes and if so what velocities have you achieved?
    So much to learn and so little time left

Hi Nigel
    I have no experience myself but a shortened rifle is very popular and commonly called a "bushpig" in NZ. Take a look at this thread.....
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Show us your bush pig
    Good luck
    Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Just about to start loading for a 16" .308.

2 loads required, possibly.

1. Woodland/Arable deer, mainly Fallow, Roe and munties, shots out to about 150 yds max, most well inside that.
    2. Driven Boar

I would like to use Barnes bullets but not sure the velocity is going to be high enough to get proper expansion. I don't want excessive meat damage but do want to put them down quickly.

Perceived wisdom says that short barrels suffer significant velocity/energy drop with light for calibre bullets but heavy for calibre are much less effected. It also says to get the best from a Barnes you need to be pushing it along pretty quickly.

I'm leaning towards a 165 grain partition for both jobs. It will probably be travelling somewhere between 2500fps and 2600 fps at the muzzle and the partition should expand very effectively at those velocities at the ranges I will be shooting over.

I will need a fast burning powder to make sure it's all burnt in the short barrel length. Leaning towards starting with IMR4895 at the moment.

For those who are playing with such a rifle, what have you found works particularly well? Have you successfully used something like a 130 grain Barnes and if so what velocities have you achieved?
    As you well know i am loading to the other end of the scale, the thing you are going to have to watch is pressure!

If i were you i would step down to 110gn Barnes (equal to 130gn standard bulletand will kill anything you would want to poke it at!) that way i am sure you will get the speed you require with out the pressure.

Its what a call proper re-loading, safely flying by the seat of you pants until you get it right, there is no real helpful load data on shortened barrels its just try and try again.

I have scrapped using Barnes bullets for my down loaded cartriges i have now opted for another non toxic bullet with a lower BC .

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

What is factory doing in your barrel ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    What is factory doing in your barrel ?
    Riflecraft have cut down the std Howa Sporter barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    As you well know i am loading to the other end of the scale, the thing you are going to have to watch is pressure!

If i were you i would step down to 110gn Barnes (equal to 130gn standard bulletand will kill anything you would want to poke it at!) that way i am sure you will get the speed you require with out the pressure.

Its what a call proper re-loading, safely flying by the seat of you pants until you get it right, there is no real helpful load data on shortened barrels its just try and try again.

I have scrapped using Barnes bullets for my down loaded cartriges i have now opted for another non toxic bullet with a lower BC .
    Thanks Lee.

We will have to compare where have got to before long.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi hunter View Post
    Hi Nigel
    I have no experience myself but a shortened rifle is very popular and commonly called a "bushpig" in NZ. Take a look at this thread.....
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Show us your bush pig
    Good luck
    Hayden
    I'm glad you sent the link.

I can't imagine what would have come up on the search engine if I had Googled "show us your bush pig"

I meant how is factory ammo performing in your 16" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I meant how is factory ammo performing in your 16" barrel?
    Sorry!!!

No idea, don't pick it up until next week when it gets back from the proof house. I don't plan on using any factory ammo as I enjoy my reloading. Just at the planning stage at the moment, hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Sorry!!!

No idea, don't pick it up until next week when it gets back from the proof house. I don't plan on using any factory ammo as I enjoy my reloading. Just at the planning stage at the moment, hence the question.
    i would just load to factory specs to start and get a load that works then maybe if you feel the need do a bit of refining ?