7x57

sp4rkman

I've submitted my FAc application a few weeks ago and i've just heard back from the police that they're questioning my calibre choice.

I opted for the 7x57 as i'll be going after sika and some big reds u in Scotland so wanted something a bit bigger than a .243, or 6.5 x 55mm. My other choice was a .308 but i'm hoping to travel to Europe sometime and i know several countries wont allow you to take these into the country.

Does anyone feel the 7x57 is too much gun for British deer?

sp4rkman said:
Does anyone feel the 7x57 is too much gun for British deer?

Not at all excellent choice. Explain to your FLO that the 7mm rifle is less powerful than the 7.62mm(.308) and he will only too happy to let you have it, as a lot of the less informed think that bore diameter equates directly to the power of the cartridge. :evil: :evil: ;)

You could also point out that the FC used to state a min’ of 270 for shooting big woodland red stags (not true any more), but the principle is there that you need a bigger calibre for big stags be it red or sika.

Best rgds

Thar

Hi sparkman, the 7x57 is an excellent choice and I used one for several years until the barrel was sh@gged. 140gr partitions felled everything in their path. The police are trying it on with you mate. Just stick by your choice and re-iterate that you have some reds and sika to shoot and you will be surprised at how queickly they back off when they realise you aren't going to. 7X57 is a medium capacity round in the same general bracket as the 308, 7-08 (to which its nearly identical in terms of ballistics) and just behind or about level (depending on bullet choice) with the 30-06 and its derivatives: 25-06, 270, 280 rem etc. Direct them to the guidance table within the home office guidelines if you have to which I'm sure lists 7x57 as described above. The pdf is available online, just put 'firearms home office guidance' or something similar into a search egine and peruse at your leisure.

Hope that helps

Z

thanks for the advice all.

I've got a friend in South Africa who has shot over 1000 animals with his 7x57 and swears by it. Hence why i went for it.

Ill stick to my guns (pardon the pun) and fingers crossed it's approved.

To carry on from my original post on the 7x57, does anyone have any experience with single shot rifles, especially the Ruger No 1?

I know you dont get a quick follow up shot and in a cull situation you're quite restricted too, but they do look like lovely rifles. Besides, you should only need one shot anyway...

I have a Heym 44B in 7x57, I got it because it is light and convenient to carry round the shoot. In my experience the disadvantage of having only a single shot is more psychological than practical in most cases. Quarry, and in particular, foxes, seldom hang around after the first shot, often running a short distance and stopping briefly. This is often long enough to reload a single shot weapon. However, I would have to say that overall having a instant second shot is probably the best practical option. I got the 44B coz it is a pretty rifle and I couldn't resist!!!! I would not use a single shot ater dark when lamping fox as under these circumstanses more than one shot is ofen needed and quick reloading a single is not easy. (Besides I might scratch the Heym!)

I use a single shot rifle and have so far not found the lack of rapid follow up shot a restriction. Also I went boar shooting in France and the guide used a ruger no 1. I guess someone who makes a living out of it should know if a system works or not.

I have a 308 - an old cherished rifle. A 25/06 with a moderator, effective and in a T it work fine. and a 7x57. If I didn't cherish the 308 it wouldn't get house room, the 7x57 is gentle, effective on deer and being a long gently tapering cartridge feeds beautifully - don't let them change you mind. Velocities for a similar bullet weight between 308 and 7 x57 will vary more between rifles than between the cartirdges.

7x 57

I would be interested in knowing where you are. My force recently employed a retired officer to do firearms enquiries. he thought a 7 x 57 was a boeing airliner!!! theguy is a menace to the forces reputation, but he is a lot cheaper than i am and the short sighted bosses don't see the damage that will be more expensive in the long run than i am. someone will have to follow him round and fix his cock ups

swampy

Swampy, i'm based in Hampshire. after my FLO questioned my calbre choice, i phoned him and explained the ballistics and my reasons behind my choice as reccomended by those who replied to my post. He appeared to accept these and is processing my application.

He feels it shouldnt be an issue and my FAC should be approved. Geez, but i hope so.

7 x 57

realistically only people into shooting and ballistics would know what a 7 x 57 is! they spend most of thier time doing .22lr .223 .270 and 308 they rarely do anything different so when it is explained then normally there is no problem. it is often not a case of them being awkward vut just not knowing about the calibre. I think that all fire arms licensing offices should have a speer reloading manual as a reference so that they can read the write up about each cartridge.

steve

Well, i contacted my FLO and he advised my certificates arrived on his desk this morning! I'm so relieved as I honestly didnt think they'd be issued.

Now, i just need to find a rifle. Found a 2nd hand Heym which looks in pretty good nick. Otherwise i may go for a new CZ. Bit limited on choice in the 7x57 though

Try Macleods of Tain, they often have 7x57s. If you get the chance of a BSA cf2 in good nick don't turn it down. Mine was a beaut and accounted for loads of beasts in good style.

Regards

Z

cz

cz 7 x 57 a superb rifle.

When i first started shooting i went out with a pro stalker and he was using one. he said it was the busines.

what bullet do you intend to use?

steve

Well, i paid the deposit on a brand new CZ 550 7x57. Just looking for some decent glass for it now...

Been thinking i'll try the 140gr Federal and the 145gr Winchester and see how the rifle likes them. My 308 loves Winchester and i get good groupings and even better bullet performance.

Picked up my rifle this morning - felt like I was a small kid unwrapping my Xmas presents. I'm still looking for a scope though and am nowhere near making a decision yet. Ill get there...

Which model did you get Sparky, my 243 is the American as I preferred the shape of the woodwork on that one.

Did you notice if CZ do a factory threaded mversion yet?

I went for the CZ 550 American. I dont usually like the straight stock but this one felt very comfortable.

I didnt notice if they came factory threaded but a quick scan on the website leads me to think not.

Hi sp4rkman :)
How are you getting on with the 7x57?
I was wanting something bigger than a .243 so I could have a go at Fallow and Reds when the opportunity arose and also have a rifle capable of Boar since they are coming ever closer to my neck of the woods.
Loads of guys tried to put me off saying a .243 is all the gun you will ever need for deer up to and including Reds.
I just wanted something with more knock down power if my aim is ever off and then bullet placement would not be so critical.
Anyway I ignored the advice and went for the CZ550 American pattern 7x57. Thing is I have not used it yet as I'm still saving up the 350 quid for a scope. When I enquired about the gun with Gunmark they said they only had 2 left and were not sure if CZ were ever going to do another 7x57 production run, hence I got one quick. Maybe you got the last one!!
How do you get on with the trigger and do you use the set?
As to the boar calibre question, defra say .270 is minimum calibre so .275 Rigby (7x57) should be fine.
After all if bell shot his 1000 Elephants with one I guess a Boar won't complain!!
Looking forward to your comments.

Bye for now ;)

Buckstalker

CZ452 American .22lr 16" with P'hale mod & Tasco 8x50
Tikka T3 Hunter .243 with Sm'dt & Bender 8x56
CZ550 American 7x57
AYA Mod 4 sxs 12 bore
WR Pape 1901 sxs 16 bore
and just for fun-
Bolt action 9mm Garden Gun (great for rats)

Hej buckstalker, you made the right choice of calibre with the 7x57. I shoot 7x57R in my combination gun. I use it mainly for roe as it fits in with the type of hunting i do. I have shot moose with it. I would have no problem with shooting boar with it. I shoot Norma 156grn Oryx and they are good enough for any thing that will walk in front of your rifle. Don't be fooled by the bigger calibre = more knock down power if your aim is off. It don't work like that.
In the 70s early 80s i used a Brno model 600 in .243 i killed hundreds of roe and fallow with that rifle. I made a big mistake when i sold it.

Back