Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 Ackley?

.223 Ackley?

Hi folks, Is it a lot of hassle/cost to get a normal .223 turned into an Ackley I .223.
    What is the best method for reloading etc costs etc
    Is it worth it for the extra FPS

Many Thanks
    Cheers
    Last edited by easypeasy; 03-05-2015 at 10:49.

I would probably just change to a 22-250 or .220 swift if you want a quick .22 cf as the easiest option if your wanting more velocity. Or a .204 if you don't need .22 deer coverage. By the time you rebarrel, new dies, load develop etc it will add up. But if you want something different, crack on it's your rifle. Atb.

Quote Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
    Hi folks, Is it a lot of hassle/cost to get a normal .223 turned into an Ackley I .223.
    What is the best method for reloading etc costs etc
    Is it worth it for the extra FPS

Many Thanks
    Cheers
    No is the short answer, but it's fun and educational. I bought a second-hand 243 Ackley on this forum and it was an excellent rifle to shoot. I'm not sure if I would get another Ackley, but it's certainly worthwhile doing once if you can afford it.

Regards

JCS

I would agree with the above, the gains are so marginal I would question the point of it.
    If solely looking for velocity increases, the logical step would be a 22-250

Sorry to be repetitive but, NO.
    The minuscule change in velocity is not worth the money. Plus the rifle becomes hard to sell as it requires the buyer to reload only.
    If you want higher velocity and lots of it go to a 22-250.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
    The minuscule change in velocity is not worth the money. Plus the rifle becomes hard to sell as it requires the buyer to reload only.
    Well, no, not true. The whole point of an Ackley Improved is that you can fire factory ammo in it, and with good accuracy.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Well, no, not true. The whole point of an Ackley Improved is that you can fire factory ammo in it, and with good accuracy.

-JMS

Correct....with excellent accuracy too!

Quote Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post

-JMS
    Yes, when I got my 243 Ackley I just went straight out and started stalking Roe bucks with RWS 96gr factory ammunition. I also started working up some loads.

Regards JCS

Three of my mates have 223 Ackleys and they all love them, they all report excellent accuracy, 200fps+ velocity increase and small vermin kills out to 500yds

Ian.

why would you need to rebarrel?
    surely the whole point is you can start with a .223 and ream it to AI configuration?

bang some factory ammo through as above and start reloading fireformed brass