Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tikka T-3 I won't be buying.

The Tikka T-3 I won't be buying.

I was in the city visiting my girlfriend this weekend and stopped into our favorite sports store to look at boxing gloves. While she browsed the selections, i wandered over to the Tikka rack in the gun department. Found a "youth" T-3 in 1-8" on sale for $495 NIB, but what really caught my eye was a T-3 Hunter in 6.5x55. At $849 it was a full $100 more than the other "Hunter" models in the more common chamberings. I have a really fine FN 6.5x55 already....Oh my.

I bought the little lady her boxing gloves for an early birthday present and left in a hurry.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I was in the city visiting my girlfriend this weekend and stopped into our favorite sports store to look at boxing gloves. While she browsed the selections, i wandered over to the Tikka rack in the gun department. Found a "youth" T-3 in 1-8" on sale for $495 NIB, but what really caught my eye was a T-3 Hunter in 6.5x55. At $849 it was a full $100 more than the other "Hunter" models in the more common chamberings. I have a really fine FN 6.5x55 already....Oh my.

I bought the little lady her boxing gloves for an early birthday present and left in a hurry.~Muir
    Is it just me.

Did you just say that you walked into a sports store (presume all sports, football, baseball, boxing obviously) to buy your girlfriend a pair of boxing gloves (is that for your protection or hers - sounds like the perfect woman) and nearly walked out having bought another gun (imagine being able to buy guns from Sports Direct on your average high street)?

Only in America.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Ive just zeroed one of these 6x5x55 the other day twin to my 223,!!ps muir if you had have bought the 6,5 which powder would you have fed it,over 120gr theres so many out there, and cant and wont be buying more than one possibly two to try out,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 03-05-2015 at 18:02.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    Ive just zeroed one of these 6x5x55 the other day twin to my 223,!!ps muir if you had have bought the 6,5 which powder would you have fed it,over 120gr theres so many out there, and cant and wont be buying more than one possibly two to try out,
    A very understated powder for the 6.5x55 is IMR 7828. Not really popular here but it gives top accuracy with 120 and 140 grain in my FN, as well as my son's Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. I get 2850 fps without pushing it too hard from a 24" barrel using PPU 120 BTHP. My son and I also shoot 140 grain Sierra GK's using it. His FWT has always been finicky but the groups were in the .6-.7 class when we switched to 7828. I use the "Super Short Cut" version but it doesn't need to be.

I'm sure that 6.5 shot very well....dammit. ~Muir

This is pretty typical. .3 to .5 MOA.

thats like im getting just over with factory 139gr privvi thats all i could get hold of at short notice,but i would like to try some handloads when i get the chance, cheers doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    thats like im getting just over with factory 139gr privvi thats all i could get hold of at short notice,but i would like to try some handloads when i get the chance, cheers doug,
    Good luck. FWIW, 7828 seems to be very similar to 4831.... a powder I've used to some success in the past.~Muir

Good luck. FWIW, 7828 seems to be very similar to 4831.... a powder I've used to some success in the past.~Muir
    thank you ,doug
    DONT START

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Is it just me.

Did you just say that you walked into a sports store (presume all sports, football, baseball, boxing obviously) to buy your girlfriend a pair of boxing gloves (is that for your protection or hers - sounds like the perfect woman) and nearly walked out having bought another gun (imagine being able to buy guns from Sports Direct on your average high street)?

Only in America.
    I think if we could get them from sports direct...after the documentary on it the other night half of newcastle utds fan club would be armed to the teeth waiting for the owner to turn up at the next match,

A modern day slave owner,

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Is it just me.

Only in America.
    Sorry! I missed this post!
    The boxing gloves are hers. Her old ones tore at the gym the other night....and yes, she has a mean left jab, left upper-cut, right cross combo in close quarters. And christ yes! I hope it's for my protection!
    And yes, almost bought another rifle.~Muir

PS: And this place has everything from ping-pong balls to motorboats. Huge. 1/3 of the second floor is devoted to hunting...
    Last edited by Muir; 03-05-2015 at 21:07.

Sorry! I missed this post!
    The boxing gloves are hers. Her old ones tore at the gym the other night....and yes, she has a mean left jab, left upper-cut, right cross combo in close quarters. And christ yes! I hope it's for my protection!
    And yes, almost bought another rifle.~Muir
    Good on you mate. Best of luck.

Nigel
    So much to learn and so little time left