Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start hunting!

Looking to start hunting!

Hi everyone

I am an experienced target shooter living in Gloucester but also having property in Leicestershire. Currently at the time of writing I have no permissions for any areas of land or specific species.

I am looking to start hunting Rabbits, Deer and Boar. As a newcomer to the tradition/sport/lifestyle I have no contacts with anyone or real knowledge so I intend to take my time and do a good amount of research and to consider any advice given.

It seems like a very expensive hobby, while I already have several fullbore rifles (a couple .303's, a couple 7.62x54Rs, an 8mm Mauser and a 5.56x45 VZ.58) and will be able to stretch to buying a .22LR I doubt I will be abe to purchase a place on a syndicate or anything like that.

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from the site.

Jubbles

Quote Originally Posted by Jubbles View Post
    Hi everyone

I am an experienced target shooter living in Gloucester but also having property in Leicestershire. Currently at the time of writing I have no permissions for any areas of land or specific species.

I am looking to start hunting Rabbits, Deer and Boar. As a newcomer to the tradition/sport/lifestyle I have no contacts with anyone or real knowledge so I intend to take my time and do a good amount of research and to consider any advice given.

It seems like a very expensive hobby, while I already have several fullbore rifles (a couple .303's, a couple 7.62x54Rs, an 8mm Mauser and a 5.56x45 VZ.58) and will be able to stretch to buying a .22LR I doubt I will be abe to purchase a place on a syndicate or anything like that.

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from the site.

Jubbles
    christ thought i was reading my own add then lol moved from churchdown to birstall lol.my first bit of advice would be to go hmr on rabbits not 22 lr.i think glos is a good place for deer and boar.forest of dean being on your dore

Might 22 WMR be better for rabbits than .17 HMR ? It has plenty of energy if range is an issue, and retains it very well, but is less likely to ricochet than .17 HMR ?

From what I understant .22LR is an effective bunny calibre out to about a max of 150m, even if its max range is 100m that from my air rifle hunting experience is quite enough. I would like to use the rifle for cheaper target shooting as well as bunny bashing as I can't really aford to buy two more rifles. It may seem like I am penny pinching but at 24 with lots of other demands on my time and money (most not fun stuff but the usual saving for a house etc) the economics really are tight.

Yes, .22LR is the lowest cost option and as effective as you'll need. A good second paw Brno will have all the accuracy you need and not cost the earth.

the tradjectory is not much better than an air rifle if any better it just hits a lot harder when it gets there.great starter gun mind.i know a guy in gloucester who is just about to sell a anschutz 22lr that has done nothing as he bought a hmr straight after.pm me if you want his number to look.
    mike

Welcome to the site, you don't want to be shooting at rabbits at 150m too often, if you want to shoot them at longer ranges gat a suitable calibre. They are not paper targets and deserve to be despatched humanely.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Welcome to the site, you don't want to be shooting at rabbits at 150m too often, if you want to shoot them at longer ranges gat a suitable calibre. They are not paper targets and deserve to be despatched humanely.

John
    And hence my belief that if it works just fine at 100m then .22LR is the right choice. I am pf course open to people reasoning why other choices such as .17HMR are better.

.22lr is a good starter with the proviso that it is ricochet prone.
    Something that target shooters don't have to worry about.
    Get lots of practice in, learn the trajectory then when you're getting under 1" groups move out to a longer range and stop when you don't get 1" groups and set that as your maximum bunny range.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Jubbles. Some training might be a good idea? You've just missed a course locally - British Deer Society Training Course Dates Regards JCS