Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves in Yellowstone Park

Wolves in Yellowstone Park

This may be of interest to some :- How Wolves Change Rivers - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    This may be of interest to some :- How Wolves Change Rivers - YouTube

The "Greater Yellowstone Coalition" of Bozeman, Montana made that film and well, hey! they were also a driving force to have the wolf reintroduced to the region; a move that has been under much scrutiny. It behooves their donation funds to paint it as a great move. Since that film has come out I have been looking for the scientific study behind it and they offer none. If you've ever been to Yellowstone, you'd know that there is no area that have been 'grazed off' as they claim. What has happened is that the wolves have been reproducing at such a rate that they have pushed off the Yellowstone and are killing State elk populations outside the Park. -or such is the claim. I live a couple hundred miles from Yellowstone and I saw a wolf on the edge of town last Thursday night. Yellowstone wolves have been killed as far away as Pine Ridge, South Dakota. About a 9 hour drive from Yellowstone. They have unleashed a menace on the surrounding States. JMHO~Muir

I'm guessing that you aren't a fan of this exercise Muir.
    I saw this info a long time ago and wondered how it went. You have to look beyond the hype and check on the hidden agenda with all of this type of activity.
    Once again, if you tell people BS for long enough they believe it.
    Is there much public outcry over the experiment?
    Grant.
    Don't hide from your mates in the bush!

SD Regular
    I recall seeing a documentary, many years ago, about the reason for re-introducing the wolf into Yellowstone.

And yes, it did pose it as a need to control an explosion of the deer population.

But, like most things involving animals the animal sometimes has other ideas.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 04-05-2015 at 03:36.

Can you shoot the wolves if they stray outside Yellowstone ?

The facts in that short video make you think that the people who planned the reintroduction of the wolves into Yellowstone make it look like a brilliant idea and that they really knew what they were doing! .........But I have to ask how accurate are the facts in the video, but it looks to me very much like the video was planned by the supporters of the reintroduction of the wolves and very one sided - A typical propoganda exercise!

Will see a very similar (Propoganda) video about the Lynx in Scotland etc in a few years time?

Just out of interest do we know how fast or well the wolf packs bread and grew, and what their numbers are now in Yellowstone Park, and how do those figures compare with the numbers of deer there before the reintroduction of the wolf in Yellowstone compared to their numbers now? And of course if there have been any adverse effects caused by the wolves and if so what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The "Greater Yellowstone Coalition" of Bozeman, Montana made that film and well, hey! they were also a driving force to have the wolf reintroduced to the region; a move that has been under much scrutiny. It behooves their donation funds to paint it as a great move. Since that film has come out I have been looking for the scientific study behind it and they offer none. If you've ever been to Yellowstone, you'd know that there is no area that have been 'grazed off' as they claim. What has happened is that the wolves have been reproducing at such a rate that they have pushed off the Yellowstone and are killing State elk populations outside the Park. -or such is the claim. I live a couple hundred miles from Yellowstone and I saw a wolf on the edge of town last Thursday night. Yellowstone wolves have been killed as far away as Pine Ridge, South Dakota. About a 9 hour drive from Yellowstone. They have unleashed a menace on the surrounding States. JMHO~Muir
    Muir, it's good to hear the other side of the story, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Montana yes, if you buy a 'tag', but i think Wyoming have just withdrawn it recently.
    Finding them is the problem!
    Cheers
    Richard

Interesting viewing, but as always there are always pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Samhuntvic View Post
    I'm guessing that you aren't a fan of this exercise Muir.
    I saw this info a long time ago and wondered how it went. You have to look beyond the hype and check on the hidden agenda with all of this type of activity.
    Once again, if you tell people BS for long enough they believe it.
    Is there much public outcry over the experiment?
    Grant.
    Ranchers and outfitters are against it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    IF? They are many hundreds of miles outside the Park now! Ranchers apply "The Three S Rule": Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.~Muir