Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a descent roe buck

Mounting a descent roe buck

My stalking partner, hassled me to go out for a walk in the rain last night.
    So glad we went out, as after stalking down the second ride. I spotted a good buck browsing up the hedge towards me. He wouldn't present a broadside shot, so a .243 sst round to the base of the neck dropped him on the spot.

I'm considering getting him shoulder mounted and scored.
    The problem I have is he's molting.
    Do I just boil out the head and get it scored, and wait till I shoot a buck in summer coat for the Cape. I'd rather he kept his original, but don't want a crap mount.

Pictures in in due course.

I would get another cape, especially as it presumably has a fair size hole in and out for a neck shot? If it's moulting it will always have a moth eaten look to it, comes down to personal taste I guess but I would replace the cape
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Got to agree with Deer stalker.308 Just get a different cape. The best Roe heads I have seen were from the guy Bill off here.

The hair will not hold in place. If your taxidermist knows what he is doing he will advise you to get another cape in summer coat as at this time of year Roe are moulting and the hair will not stay in and the mount will not look good. Especially as you took it in the neck, this area will loose hair and will be difficult to stitch up and disguise.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Thanks for all the advice,
    I'm going to wait till summer then and use a suitable animal's Cape.

I have one in the freezer make me an offer.

But if you Cape it then it's not that buck anymore! ! I shot one a few years ago with John Robson of yds and it was shot on the 1st April has patches of moult on it but the guy who mounted it ''the best ive ever seen'' did a superb job and it sits on the wall nicely and I know it's that buck and not an amalgamation of two, obviously your choice totally but to me with a new Cape on then it's not that buck.
    Only point being is I wouldn't on necked it lol
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if it's okay to change the Cape next time I shoot a nice summer coated buck with only 4 points is it okay to buy some gold medal antlers to put on it ??
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    I suppose what I'm trying to say is if it's okay to change the Cape next time I shoot a nice summer coated buck with only 4 points is it okay to buy some gold medal antlers to put on it ??
    Regards
    Jimmy
    No but I know a stalker who shot an exceptional hill stag with a German client , that stag now has pride of place in the clients home and on the sitting room wall of the stalkers cottage, how can that be you ask?

Simple really the taxidermist cast the skull and antlers cast in resin and mounted it in an other cape.