Saying goodbye to the muzzle brake

Conor1

I have been using a brake on my 300WM for the last 7 years, mainly to reduce muzzle rise and recoil. I have 2 barrels in this calibre and the brake is very effective at its job and the gun is easy to shoot. However the noise is deafening and ear defenders are a must. The first barrel is a standard spotter and that is my go to gun for stalking and driven hunting. The second barrel is a Semi Weight with a very low shot count, less than 50 rounds. Without the brake I was getting a 3 inch group with both barrels. With the brake I can get 3 shots touching with the 4th and 5th braking off by an inch.

recently I toyed with the idea of removing the brake for stalking as it is cry anti social. Using Barnes TTSX 180gr the groups tightener up by 50% with the Semi Weight Barrel. The Gun is quite heavy and I started to get really comfortable with it. Tonight I will try it for boar and see how I get on. But, for driven hunting I will stick with the brake. The ear defenders are still a necessity as I value my hearing. All the best

What about a moderator? Is that an option? Might get the best of both worlds then, albeit with a slight weight penalty.

Hi Conor

I have just bought a .300 Win Mag. It's a Sako with an M14x1 thread.

What sort of Muzzle Break would you recommend?

I had one custom made
8mm bore, 3 vents, 45 rearward angle
Steel

works very well, but I am not convinced it is any noisier than an unmoderated rifle shooting the same loads
Recoil is noticeably less. massive difference

As much as it pains me though ....Accuracy with the brake is not a patch on the same loads through the moderator.

With a bipod and mod I shot these at the weekend, was very happy:

5 shots 130yds

with the brake I get gaps between holes!

Back