Thread: reloading & 22 hornet

Regular Poster

reloading & 22 hornet

hi guys,although I am a lifelong shooter, I have never been a reloader. I have just bought a little brno zkw465 22 hornet,and fancy having a go at reloading for it.any constructive advice would be welcome,reloading in general,but for the hornet in particular. if anyone out there has the same model rifle,and can give me any pointers , I would be most grateful.
    thanks in advance-tom
    Last edited by thomas243; 04-05-2015 at 12:17.

Regular Poster
    with hindsight,i should have placed this post in the reloading section...sorry

I have a zkw 465 .22 Hornet too and recommend Hodgdons Lil gun powder, 40grain sp bullets (Mine likes Hornady best) Lee Dies (get an expander die too and always crimp this round) It's a more finicky little case and easy to damage, so be gentle with them and then go impress the heck out of yourself with a sweet piece of equipment.

Once you get the hang of it reloading for the Hornet is relatively simple. I would suggest getting a neck expander as it really does make life easier when seating the bullet.

JAYB has this same rifle (dated 1949, BTW) and he loads the 40 grain V-Max because it will fit in the magazine. H-110 (Winchester 296: Identical powder) is good in the Hornet but the best is Hodgdon Lil Gun. It is pretty much impossible to load too much into a case but 13 grains will do you well. Use small pistol primers for best accuracy. As above, get a Lee universal Neck Expander to put a gentle flare on the case mouth. The bullets will then seat straight. Trim all cases after sizing and then use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to crimp the seated bullet. Your rifle will shoot like this... ~Muir

Regular Poster
    thanks guys,gives me plenty to think about