Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly prices for bucks! Thoughts ?

Silly prices for bucks! Thoughts ?

Just wondered what peoples views were on
    prices for bucks, I personally think it's over priced.
    It tastes the same to me with or without antlers lol!

Dont pay it then and eat does or road kills. lol.

hi rick someones got to feed the kids so the pro's got to sell the odd one, and it is so you know it will cost alot more
    and the bit about tastes the same big no on that mate a nice frist year doe i can taste her know not tryed the road kill ones yet john any good mate

gadget

Hi Rick,

We all have does to cull - but the Bucks are valued, if not by the Brits, then by visiting stalkers.

You wouldn't sell cheap, something that someone will pay good money for.

I agree fully - the girls normally taste as good or better, so fill that freezer in the appropriate season!

Rgds

Ian

Dont give it about britain scotland is still the place to go were a good buck stalk is no more expensive than a good doe stalk. Try rip off England / English were stalking is involved .

Shouldn't this be moved to general discussion, we pay to advertise stalking on here.

Choc,

What makes you think that England is a rip off for Roe Bucks? Having stalked and managed large leases for many years in Scotland and England I can tell you that there are just as many rip off merchants in Scotland as there are in England. Some keepers on highland estates I know are asking for a 50 tip everytime they take a client out!!! Thats a rip off.

Good Roe stalking should cost about 60 an outing, plus a kill fee in some cases. I see little problem in that, if its over the top in cost its simple WALK AWAY, DONT PAY IT.

Sikamalc

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just wondered what peoples views were on
    prices for bucks, I personally think it's over priced.
    It tastes the same to me with or without antlers lol!
    This has been asked on numerous occasions before - and the answer is still the same... It's simple economics. The law of supply and demand says that anything that is in short supply, and great demand, will cost more. British (and I inlcude English, Welsh, Scots and Irish here) roe bucks are highly prized, for whatever reasons, by our European (and American) cousins. Since you have to factor in a relatively short season, and availability of estates that will sell roe buck stalking, it is inevitable that those who wish to shoot trophy animals will be willing to pay for that privilege, and therefore the cost will rise.

For those of us that shoot to manage the deer, not for trophys, as you have said - the does taste just as good, if not better.

If you want to shoot a trophy, get your own land or join a syndicate, or be prepared to pay through the nose for it. Otherwise, shoot your cull plan and fill your freezer during the winter!

I don't have my own land, am not in a syndicate, and am not prepared to pay to shoot a trophy - so I stick to bought days on does or cull bucks and rely on the good will of friends who are kind enough to invite me to shoot on their land. I enjoy the shooting (and often enough, the not shooting) just as much as I would if it was a gold medal trophy.

I accept that often estates need to sell trophy shoots in order to remain viable, which allows me to keep shooting the cull animals. In general the price is reasonable and fair, and as has been stated on here many times, as long as the costs are openly stated, the stalker can see what the full costs would be and can choose to pay it or not.

Yes, there will always be those who exploit the market and try to get more cash out of stalkers - I'm afraid that's capitalism for you. If people aren't prepared to pay, eventually the price will come down, but as long as there are those willing to 'flash the cash', the cost will stay high.

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Pippa

Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    Dont give it about britain scotland is still the place to go were a good buck stalk is no more expensive than a good doe stalk. Try rip off England / English were stalking is involved .
    Pathetic comment.....
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

i think the problem is that stalking and money are stuck in a viscous circle if you dont pay the price then someone else will, people who sell the stalking can'nt drop there prices as they wont be able to keep up there ground rent and if they dont want to rent the ground someone else will and its all driven by greed. at the end of the day we all say that we dont have to pay the prices but we do if we want to stalk. im not having a dig at those who sell stalking or even those who buy trophy bucks it just makes me angry that within stalking a lot of the time its your wallet that does the talking not your compitence to stalk and manage deer