Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-Cigs - Are they adictive?

E-Cigs - Are they adictive?

The trend towards using e-cigs rather than smoking is (I believe) growing at a rapid rate and is more socially acceptable than smoking cigarettes.
    I quit smoking ages ago, long before I went into hospital last year to have some work done on my heart. Up until then I had smoked quite heavily for most of my life and I fully realise that smoking was the main contributory factor in my heart problems, and as such the damage done was self inflicted. I did manage to quit a few times but these periods of quitting did not last long and I restarted smoking each time. Yes, I know and I don't need to be told that I am lacking in will power and I am not be as strong (mentally) as some of you - I'm not too proud of that but willing to admit it.
    Since I quit the last time I have been using an e-cig as "a prop" and because of this i have not had the slightest inclination to start smoking again - and I sincerely hope that this will last. However, I have however noticed that I am using my e-cig more frequently nowadays so I have to ask the question "While e-cigs are believed to be less harmful to the health than normal smoking is are e-cigs adictive and if so are they harmful to our health"?
    Do any of you have any thoughts on this please?

SD Regular
    E-cigs are addictive. They give you the nicotine your body is/can be addicted to. The heath difference is that nicotine in itself is not harmful per se (allegedly). It is the tar in smoking that causes the damage and using a purer form of nicotine and removing the tar in the e-cig may well reduce the health risks associated with smoking - apparently. It's more socially acceptable because there is no smoke/less smell and waste etc.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Yes they are addictive , probably less injurious to your health, but the jury is still out on that one,like you I was a smoker prior to my heart attack , smoked for forty years, really enjoyed my cigs, but knew I had to stop, almost five years since I last had one don't even think of them now, even though my wife is a smoker and there are cigs in the house, I am not even tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    E-cigs are addictive. They give you the nicotine your body is/can be addicted to. The heath difference is that nicotine in itself is not harmful per se (allegedly). It is the tar in smoking that causes the damage and using a purer form of nicotine and removing the tar in the e-cig may well reduce the health risks associated with smoking - apparently. It's more socially acceptable because there is no smoke/less smell and waste etc.
    Is it though?
    I think times have moved on and by and large it isn't acceptable outside of your own house/car.
    My daughter manages a pub and the policy is "No e-cigs indoors" (and she smokes) whilst yesterday in Morrisons' till queue a bloke was "smoking" one.
    Nobody would queue behind him even though all the other tills were busy and it meant waiting to use them.

I have smoked roll ups for over 40 years, never tried to give up, I like smoking.
    But I also realise it is going to end up killing me, I also hate the general mess and the
    smell that follows along with being a smoker.
    Two months ago I went out and bought an e-ci and have not touched a proper one since.
    So yes they do help, but as for saving money, not a chance.
    The up sides are nice as well, I can smell thing I never could, everything tastes better, and no stinking ashtrays littering the place up.
    Lets hope it continues to work for me.

Neil.

It is easy to give up smoking…I have given up thousands of times! Mark Twain.

Luckily for me the last time I gave up, five or six years ago, something got switched and the next time I was with a smoker the smell made me nauseous rather then envious.

I think that rather than consider it in negative terms of dying from it, try the positive one of how much better your life will be living without it.

No smell, no going outside in the cold and wet, hills become less steep and a shorter distance to the top…seeing your (great) grandchildren off to college.

Good luck with giving up. If E cigs or patches help then great, still cheaper/better than the alternative.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Is it though?
    I think times have moved on and by and large it isn't acceptable outside of your own house/car.
    My daughter manages a pub and the policy is "No e-cigs indoors" (and she smokes) whilst yesterday in Morrisons' till queue a bloke was "smoking" one.
    Nobody would queue behind him even though all the other tills were busy and it meant waiting to use them.
    I have to agree with you that smoking cigarettes etc or e-cigs in public places is getting to be more unaceptable by the day. As such so I choose not to use mine in places where others might find it "offensive" - Regardless of what any laws or by-laws might say, for me it is quite simply showing consideration for others!

It's the new craze at my sons school .. Secondary school

Unlike cigarettes you don't "finish one" and then have that pause before lighting up another. As it's there ready to go (until the battery runs out) it is easy to just keep using it or a few puffs every few minutes.

I havnt smoked for about 16yrs now i quit overnight,but my youngest son and misses carried on shes on ecigs now but my lad wont change while hes working he says too much trouble,other son and daughter never smoked,and yes i think they are addictive they will get you off the cigs tho,
    DONT START