Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shooting over a highway

shooting over a highway

Hi,just enquiring about shooting over a highway.I have two land per missions with a valley in between at the bottom of the valley there is a public roadJust wandering if its an offence to shoot across that road when you are about 200 feet above the road shooting from side to side.

SD Regular
    You are risking the interpretation of 'safe' in the eyes of the law should any incident happen.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Legally yes, as the bullet effectively leaves your land. I don't believe the '50ft from centre of highway' includes vertical extent either.

the offence only comes into play if by shooting you:
    " injure, interrupt or endangers users"

• Highways Act 1980 s161 discharging a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a carriageway if the act injures, interrupts or endangers users.

you could argue you are outside of the 50ft rule but suspect your argument would fall on deaf ears

While technically its legal it's not a good idea , and could leave you open to charges being made.

There is a specific law that would make it illegal if you were using an air gun, that says something along the lines of:
    "It is an offence for any person shooting on private land, regardless of age, to use an air weapon for firing a pellet beyond the boundaries of the premises."

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    the offence only comes into play if by shooting you:
    " injure, interrupt or endangers users"

• Highways Act 1980 s161 discharging a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a carriageway if the act injures, interrupts or endangers users.

you could argue you are outside of the 50ft rule but suspect your argument would fall on deaf ears
    Interesting. By my reading, of what you quote as legislation, one is not even precluded from standing on the centre of the highway and discharging a firearm there, so long as no one is injured, interrupted or endangered. Would you agree with my reading of this? Incidentally, I'm not a lawyer and I note someone else on the thread appears to be stating a different point of view and perhaps that person is a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    While technically its legal it's not a good idea , and could leave you open to charges being made.
    This is confusing. What charges could possibly be made if 'its legal'? Please explain.

I often discharge a firearm on the highway and am quite often seen getting ready by people from passing vehicles.
    Sometimes the Police are there and sometimes not but because I have a yellow jacket on and there is always an obvious reason I have a firearm, nobody ever says a word.
    Nearly every law is written in such a way as to start with or end with "Without good reason" such and such an act is unlawful.
    So you have to work out what an ordinary member of the public would class as "good reason" and be darn sure it was reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    There is a specific law that would make it illegal if you were using an air gun, that says something along the lines of:
    "It is an offence for any person shooting on private land, regardless of age, to use an air weapon for firing a pellet beyond the boundaries of the premises."

its an offence for any projectile to leave your Boundary regardless of airgun or center fire.

you would need Permission to shoot the land the road is on (highways agency/Council etc) and if closed ticket Police clearance of the land

the 50ft is for you suprising Users not shooting at them or dangerously near them (that wouldnt matter the distance your in trouble)

I suspect its if you where close to the road and shooting into the land (so safe in every way) the sight and/or sound of the shot may startle a car driver to swerve and cause an accident wheer 50ft plus has been considered far enough away to minimise that situation