measure of success

artschool

i got back yesterday from my first weekend on a new syndicate.

after three nights in a boar seat (saw boar but no shot opportunity) and numerous stalks (when the weather permitted:D) my ammunition wallet was only missing one round.

...........but with that round i grassed my first roe buck of the season:D

it got me thinking that a layperson might think that only shooting a rifle once over 3 days would be a failure!

Aye, a layperson might but I wonder just what man hours per beast actual figures are. I've spent plenty of days and never even seen anything. Well done.

As someone who only travels to stalking grounds that are less than 45 mins away what do/would you do if you shot a deer on your first day? Do you have chiller facilities or would you come back earlier to save the meat?

ask a fisherman how they measure success!
I have a successful day if I am out the house, peace and quiet and don't die from hypothermia!

To me a hunting trip and not shooting anything is never a failure. I sat out for 6 nights before shooting a boar last Thursday. Not my first boar i must say. I saw boar several times but never got a shot. I did learn a bit more about boar habits though. Plus i saw roe, badger.

Some years ago, the police stopped my car on the road while coming back from stalking. One of them asked me to open the boot. He saw the rifle, and the rest of the hunting stuff. Sarcastically, he told me that I didn´t hunt at all despite of my clothing, all the gear, 4x4, etc. I replied that I had been hunting from dawn to sunset and I had had a terrific day HUNTING by my own although I didn´t take a shot.

For some people hunting (there is not a precise translation in Spanish for stalking) is just shooting. Probably that's one of the reasons they don't hunt/stalk...

Last edited:
As someone who only travels to stalking grounds that are less than 45 mins away what do/would you do if you shot a deer on your first day? Do you have chiller facilities or would you come back earlier to save the meat?
yes there is a chiller available.

To me a hunting trip and not shooting anything is never a failure. I sat out for 6 nights before shooting a boar last Thursday. Not my first boar i must say. I saw boar several times but never got a shot. I did learn a bit more about boar habits though. Plus i saw roe, badger.

i watched an owl hunt mice for an hour through my thermal.

Surely the way to measure success is not by how many beasts/brids you grass or how many rounds you fire in any single day it is by how much pleasure that day has given you and what that day might have taught you!

To me it is if you go Stalking and see and take in all the sights and sounds of Nature around you get home without injury and if you grass a Deer then that's a bonus.

Badgers, surely not :D

Im forever bumping into badgers ,in fact i stopped going on two farms for that reason no rabbits left on there maybe an odd fox ,but scores of shaving brushes,:rolleyes:

Stalking reminds me of my Grandfather,an old keeper who always said "Every day is a good day but some be better than others" .
Whatever we do be it sitting, stalking, or pulling the trigger all days are wonderful either in the woods or on the hill.

i got back yesterday from my first weekend on a new syndicate.

after three nights in a boar seat (saw boar but no shot opportunity) and numerous stalks (when the weather permitted:D) my ammunition wallet was only missing one round.

...........but with that round i grassed my first roe buck of the season:D

it got me thinking that a layperson might think that only shooting a rifle once over 3 days would be a failure!
Well done Chris , its not an easy bit of ground but im sure more chances will come your way the more you get to know it , sorry i missed you on this visit il catch up next time

Back