Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Ridge knives

Elk Ridge knives

Has anyone got any experience with elk ridge knives at all? they are cheap but look like they should be fair quality. Im not in the position at the minute to be forking out on all the nice gear but its essential that I have something to do the job.

Elk Ridge Multi Blade Camo Lock Knife

Something like this, I like the fact the blade is a nice shape and it also has a gut hook.

Any advice one way or the other welcome, although please bear in mind I have acknowledged I'm right at the bottom end of the market here so advising full on custom knives would not be massively helpful. Id love one in the future but for the min I'm stuck with about a 20 pound budget

Cheers

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Its a folder so far from ideal but at that price nothing to lose. Other than your fingers of course!

K

Have a look at Mora knives, we have a couple of the carbon steel blades they hold an edge really well and for just over £20 you'll get 2. The handle is none slip (green or orange), they lock into the sheaths firmly and if you do lose 1 it's not the end of the earth.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Elk Ridge knives are cheap probably made in China at least the steel is , finish is not perfect but what do you expect for the price, a custom knife they are not, but as a working tool you could do much worse.

If its a a knife for stalking you are after a fixed blade is a better bet , easier to keep clean,may I also suggest you forget about the gut hook they really don't have much of a useful purpose
    a bit of a gimmick that most people stop using after the first few times, they can also add to the price of a knife.

There are some quite good Elk Ridge fixed blades without gut hook at around your budget.

All points accepted for the fixed blade idea ill look towards one of them. I do already have a knife that is perfectly adequate for stalking but I saw a gut hook used not long ago and was a fan so wanted to try it and thought if i could get a knife with one then why not?

I also accept the advice regarding the usage of gut hooks, however I think it is something that I would really like to try for myself, and then presumably post back on here saying that you all told me so!

Would there be any harm in getting a fixed blade knife with a gothic or does the gut hook hinder the performance of the primary blade?

cheers

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
    Have a look at Mora knives, we have a couple of the carbon steel blades they hold an edge really well and for just over £20 you'll get 2. The handle is none slip (green or orange), they lock into the sheaths firmly and if you do lose 1 it's not the end of the earth.
    Couldn't agree more I had one of each green & orange, can't believe it was the orange one I lost.
    Wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Think you will find a lot of mora fans here ... I'm another
    Can't beat them for price & their variety
    Scandinavian perfection without their beer prices

Paul

I have the Elk Ridge multi blade lock knife which is a copy of the Browning I think and at £15 is excellent value
    As it's a lock knife no problem with closing on your fingers and has all the different blades you will need. I got mine from Blades and Bows.
    Now I have been doing a bit I have also bought the Mora which I use for the releasing of the internal organs.
    Both keep a good edge and I would recommend the two together for less than thirty quid you can't go wrong and if like me you blunt one blade by tackling the leg wrong you still have a spare sharp one

Account Suspended
    I have a brand new sealed EKA swingblade G3 knife plus sheaf for sale at £49 (retail £69). Best Swedish stainless steel. See all the rave reviews on here
    Buy cheap, buy twice