Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Shot Ban

Lead Shot Ban

During my run-ins with Avery, I have always considered him a bellend of the highest order.

Smug c**t.

Although Swift is also a snake.

Easy win on lead, minister - Mark AveryMark Avery
    Last edited by Hunting Solutions; 05-05-2015 at 18:46. Reason: Swift

I hope Mr Avery has deep pockets to pay compensation for the millions of cartridges, rounds and projectiles that will be banned.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I left a comment awaiting moderation I bet it don't get put up.

How's about we all click his dislike button?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I may be alone in thinking this, but, I don't want to be poisoned any more than the next man, there was a time when DDT was scattered liberally around the countryside, and I'm sure when that was banned there were many who defended it. Or when school children played liberally with drops of mercury in the science labs at school....
    Lead is a known poison, and there has been a lot of research into the subject, whilst I accept there might not be an equal to it in the current market, I can't help but think that push come to shove, the manufacturers will make more effort to find alternatives if they are forced to do so.
    Times change, and the writing has been on the wall for this one for a long long time......

tin hat on for all that bismuth, steel and copper heading my way......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Mr Avery like all his type never get hit by any compensation because others do the dirty work for them.
    also of interest on his webpage is the Green Party London persons attack on game shooting now if they get to stand alongside any party in a coalition your cabinets contents will be worthless and short term ornaments.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    How's about we all click his dislike button?
    just done that ,including the comments for and against

I have no axe to grind about lead, happy to use non lead bullets so long as they work.

The Barnes bullets have a big following on here and I am just playing with them at the moment - just in case. The downsides on the Barnes type alternatives seem to be:

1. They need to be driven pretty fast to expand properly. If you are launching at 2500 fps and terminating at 2200 fps you are on the edge of their ability. Launch at 3000 fps with a terminal of 2700 and they seem fine. This might put some peoples calibers effectively out of commission and certainly reduce the range they are effective over, possibly even resulting on a less humane kill.

2. The significant weight retention appears to cause a much higher velocity and energy on exit. There is lots of anecdotal evidence of this, as ell as plenty of ballistic gel tests which prove greater penetration. They can also deflect quite a lot on exit. Now we all ensure we have a safe backstop, but we don't allow for a 30% deflection on exit. There might be quite a few more accidents as a result.

I have elected to use Barnes in my 280AI hill rifle and my 6.5 Lapua. Dropping to 120 grain and 100 grain respectively should launch both at 3250/3100 fps and both will work well out to 300 yds.

In my woodland rifle, a 16 inch .308 I don't believe I can either a) launch a 130 grain Barnes fast enough to get good expansion at 200 yds or b) guarantee little deflection on exit and a slow moving inefficient projectile in case of deflection. As a result I will be launching a 165 grain Nosler BT at about 2500 fps. It's too crowded with footpaths etc down here to take the risk.

I don't think the bullet manufacturers have done enough development yet for us all to be able to safely and humanely switch away from lead, but hopefully one day it will be possible.
    So much to learn and so little time left

The other problem is if you think it's hard to get bullets now imagine that choice narrowed to half a dozen brands it will be nigh on impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I may be alone in thinking this, but, I don't want to be poisoned any more than the next man, there was a time when DDT was scattered liberally around the countryside, and I'm sure when that was banned there were many who defended it. Or when school children played liberally with drops of mercury in the science labs at school....
    Lead is a known poison, and there has been a lot of research into the subject, whilst I accept there might not be an equal to it in the current market, I can't help but think that push come to shove, the manufacturers will make more effort to find alternatives if they are forced to do so.
    Times change, and the writing has been on the wall for this one for a long long time......

tin hat on for all that bismuth, steel and copper heading my way......
    I agree. When the threat of lead being removed from petrol the historic vehicle groups said that many vehicles would become worthless as they couldn't run on lead-free fuel because of non-hardened valve seats. Guess what - a solution was found.