Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article in Local Rag

Article in Local Rag

Michelle came across this article this morning

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...Ribble_Valley/

I think its fair to say they should have been a little more considerate but the bit that concerns me the most is I know the ground very well and there is very few roe if any its all Sika.
    The report is from last Friday, that being the case Sika would have been out of season.

Smithy

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Write a letter in response to it, explaine that correct shot placement will result in some deer thrashing out as a reaction, and then ask the general public how many of their kids go home and play 18 rated shoot them up games on the X Box, what's more damaging?????

TJ

Joe public should be informed that life in all its forms goes on, for others, as well as them, Joe public should be informed that they themselves, when walking through those colourful halls of food produce, are worshipping at the altar of cruelty, at least a well delivered shot is humane, as opposed to some places that food is produced, the countryside is there for everyone, according to all who use it, why stand & stare if offended, didn't they have the mental capacity to turn a childs head?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I agree with the sentiments expressed above, but without knowing the exact circumstances I do think that whoever took the shot should have considered the fact that there were "dozens of walkers" looking on and "enjoying the sunny day". It's not exactly a great PR move is it? What do you think the landowner thinks about his details being in the press, and don't you think it would influence him come time to renew the permission? Maybe the deer was already injured, maybe there were reasons why the shot had to be taken, but personally it's not something I'd have done.

willie_gunn

Again Willie Gunn, you speak a lot of sense, as does David Kenyon.

How would sika be out of season on last Friday?

What is more worrying is the quote from The BDS's spokesman Kenyon agreeing that deer should not be shot in view of the public.
    Last edited by Storm; 07-04-2010 at 08:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    What is more worrying is the quote from The BDS's spokesman Kenyon agreeing that deer should not be shot in view of the public.
    Why? Are you suggesting that we go out and shoot deer in full view of the public?

Let me think....armed men, camouflage, high-powered rifles, general public, shooting bambi. At least we won't have to worry about not having an organisation that adequately represents deer stalkers

willie_gunn

Part of the difficulties we face when carrying out lawful pursuits like shooting, is fostered by the seemingly clandestine way we are expected to perform our craft, I really can't contemplate the habits of some eastern societies that eat dogs, but I don't pontificate about it, it is their way of life & they consider them a food item, these airheads would probably go walkabout north of the circle & write to the local paper because some Inuit was hunting a seal or a bear!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Why? Are you suggesting that we go out and shoot deer in full view of the public?

willie_gunn
    Why not pheasant shooting goes on in full public view and on all but wild bird shoots has no management basis.

Finnbear

Again, I agree 100% with you.

Unfortunately the general public in the UK are increasingly igrnorant regarding how food is produced. The accepted view seems to be that food comes from the supermarkets - don't worry about how it is produced. Better that we import cheap food from abroad, raised under poorer welfare regimes, and let British farmers go out of business. Heaven forbid that we actually have to get involved in the killing and preparation of our own food!

I travel abroad extensively for work, and this attitude seems to be solely unique to Great Britain. The bi-product is that, whilst I've had conversations about deer stalking and shooting with work colleagues in Germany, Russia, Scandinavia, Italy, Africa, Spain and the US, I'd be very reluctant to open the same conversation in the UK. I've done it in the past and you could have heard the proverbial pin drop!!

The only silver lining to this very dark cloud is that the increasing use of venison and game by the "TV celebrity chefs" seems to have had an impact, at least IMHO. People now are as likely to ask me "can you supply me with some venison" as they are to ask me "how can you shoot a beautiful deer".

willie_gunn