Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tick removal tools.

Tick removal tools.

I am sure that this has been covered more than once but, does anybody have an up to date good source at a good price for these.

Many thanks,

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    I am sure that this has been covered more than once but, does anybody have an up to date good source at a good price for these.

Many thanks,

David.
    Can't beat an o'tom twister - cheap and effective

http://www.huntingsolutions.co.uk/ti...r-3407?p=11_29

I have half a dozen sets of O'Tom twisters ready for immediate deployment, car, house, handbag, forge, Barbour pocket.

I have to say that since my little tick-magnet spaniels have been on NEXGARD I have not found a live one on them. Still finding two or three a week but they are all small and have not fully engorged and are dead before you take them off.

No fleas either come to that.

Alan

Hi I asked the nurse at outpatients if I could have the ones she used to take a tick off my shoulder which she did , they were going to be thrown out anyway but ebay is selling them for 3.50 a set of 2

I read somewhere (maybe here) that if you run your finger round and round the body of an attached tick, it will drop off.
    Depending on where the tick is attached I'm sure that method could be liable to misinterpretation by an observer.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I read somewhere (maybe here) that if you run your finger round and round the body of an attached tick, it will drop off.
    Depending on where the tick is attached I'm sure that method could be liable to misinterpretation by an observer.
    I understand that it is really bad advice...especially when there is something as efficient as the O'Tom in existence...maybe as a last resort it would be better than trying to yank it off with your finger nails. Anything that upsets the tick can cause it to spasm and vomit the blood (and Lyme disease) into the host....

The rotation of the tick is good though, it is why the O'Tom is so effective... it helps to wrap the little barbs on the mouth parts around and prevents them from opening out and digging in as a straight pull does.

There is a good microscopic video on the O'Tom website which illustrates this.

The myth busting section on the BADA site does include rotating with a finger as a no-no...

Correct tick removal | BADA UK

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 06-05-2015 at 16:44. Reason: Add the rotation bit. an BADA link

I was given a brilliant one by a guest years ago, like a high quality metal spatula about 3"long with a keyhole in the end. The only place I've seen them for sale is Clas Olsen (?), I think they were about 6 a couple of years ago. The green plastic ones are ok but these are better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    I was given a brilliant one by a guest years ago, like a high quality metal spatula about 3"long with a keyhole in the end. The only place I've seen them for sale is Clas Olsen (?), I think they were about 6 a couple of years ago. The green plastic ones are ok but these are better in my opinion.
    Is this the one that you are referring to?

I have always used the o'tom twister, which does the job if you choose the right sized hook.
    Last edited by Oh6; 06-05-2015 at 16:52. Reason: typo

Available from the directory
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...k-Twister-Sets

you can never have too many sets

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Is this the one that you are referring to?

I have always used the o'tom twister, which does the job if you choose the right sized hook.
    Thats the one. Nothing wrong with the green ones just found this easy to keep in my wallet and easier to use on a wriggly dog!