Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle scope combination paper punching

Rifle scope combination paper punching

What distance would you be comfortable shooting out to with 15 x magnification ? using 308

Thanks in advance John

Proper long range on x15 so at least 250-300 yards for me hehe

joking aside if paper punching some people will shoot 1000 yards on x15 mag I've never tried or even looked at a target at a 1000 yards

I do the iron-sight thing for competitive paper, as a rule.
    However, I have used a rifle 'scoped at18x for 800-1000yds: the results were not good, but the reasons for that did not lie with the scope.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Used 18 to 25 mag on my 308 many times at bisley out to 1000. Hit many v bulls but near the end of my range work I found I needed glasses, and since then I have not shot past 750 yards and in saying that, that we done using just 14 mag,

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

A 1000 yards is doable with a 15X I have a 16X that I have used for 1000 yards it's not much different, it is not affected as much by mirage as higher powdered scopes, my main scope for LR is a Leupold 8.5-25 when the mirage is bad I turn it down to 16X, it real depends on the quality of the scope not so much the power the better the glass the clearer the target.
    Robert.

I use 3X for 100M shooting (off hand and paper) so I'm guessing 15X would be all distance after that.~Muir

I'm a fixed 4 power man myself. With a clean ret and top glass I would not feel underscoped on gongs out to at least 500, probably even further

Quote Originally Posted by john444334 View Post
    What distance would you be comfortable shooting out to with 15 x magnification ? using 308

Thanks in advance John
    It'd be adequate out to 1,000 yards, but at that distance, more is better providing you can judge the wind and you rifle is capable of 1 MOA or better. One one of my rifles (A Blaser LRS) came with a PM II 4-16x50 which is sufficient to keep the bullets in the V-bull providing the shooter can judge the wind. That said, my Dragunov had the standard issue 4x POSP scope and with that I could keep them in the black at 1,000. The black measure 48" on the NRA target. I say my Dragunov "had" the POSP scope in the passed tense, because it is the second mil issue scope that has been shaken apart - the reticle is loose and moves so it is u/s. I have a Picatinny rail for it and am going to fit a Nightforce NXS 5-22x50 on it, at least for a while.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I'm a fixed 4 power man myself. With a clean ret and top glass I would not feel underscoped on gongs out to at least 500, probably even further
    I shot 500M Metallic Silhouette Comps in the "Sporter Class" with a 4X scope.~Muir

I know some can hit things with open sights or 4 mag scopes at longer ranges however a higher mag scope has huge advantages that the lower does not offer. For example when hunting to double as a spotting scope and identifying an animal at longer distance. Distinguishing between fox cub and adult fox, or just being able to see grass in the flight path of the bullet. When paper punching one can see bullet strikes out to 500m with a 24 mag scope (on a good day) and might save you running up to the target.
    edi