Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5-10x42 Scope

2.5-10x42 Scope

Hi, I have just become the proud owner of a Sako 75 Hunter in 7mm-08 want to keep it European with the scope a 2.5-10x42 tickles my fancy I have a Khales 3-12x56 but it's all together too large and I would
    have to remove the rear sight which I will not do, I don't mind a pre-loved scope, what would you gentlemen recommend the mounts will be Optilocks unless you can recommend another brand,
    I have a Leupold 12x on at present while doing load development it actually looks quite a good fit, Cheers Robert.

I've got a Sako 75 hunter & have recently put a Swarovski 1.7-10x42 (non-illuminated) on it & think it's fantastic. I'm not a fan of the look of the illuminated ones. It probably sits at x4 most of the time when I'm out but both extremes are great to have.

It's a short & comparatively light scope. The shortness of the tube could be a problem as it doesn't allow much adjustment of the scope position & the scope has slightly longer eye relief than the S&B 6x42 I had previously. I have long arms & neck so tend to need scopes mounted reasonably far forward, even though I've extended the l.o.p. to 16". It's mounted on extra-low optilocks at present but I'm considering switching as I would like to be able to nudge the scope forward by a few mils but the eyepiece fouls the optilock base. I could, of course, mount it higher but to my mind that rather defeats the point of having a scope like this.

Hope that helps.

1" tubed 3-9x36 zeiss or Swarovski in the lowest mounts you can get. I just learned the leupold ring mounts are even lower than the extra low opti's. You only need more mag than that if you are shooting 1000yds or more, and the small light scope will look right and feel right for what you are trying to achieve

Have a look at the Minox ZA5 HD 2-10x40. Considering one myself also for a rifle with a foresight. Reasonably priced as well.

Possibly the nicest scope we looked through at the last IWA was the newer Meopta R2 1.7-10x42. I'm just saving up for one.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    Have a look at the Minox ZA5 HD 2-10x40. Considering one myself also for a rifle with a foresight. Reasonably priced as well.
    These are far from what they're cracked up to be, you'd be better investing elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Possibly the nicest scope we looked through at the last IWA was the newer Meopta R2 1.7-10x42. I'm just saving up for one.
    edi
    Saw those on line. About 750 from Germany with current exchange rates.

Thinking seriously of buying one.

I looked at a couple of Minox scopes and was not impressed.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks for the replies fellas, I had a look at a Minox on a friends rifle while I did some load development for him definitely not on my short list, saving up for Zeiss Swaro or Khales may be an S&B,
    people are always upgrading around here you never know that will turn up on the second hand market, Any opinions on Doctor scopes I have a good workingrelationship the local importer could get a good deal
    but I don't know anything about them,
    Robert.

Rob,

what type of shooting will you be doing, open hill, mountains, woods, what distances typically, and how much game species range do you need ie. boar to stags, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Saw those on line. About 750 from Germany with current exchange rates.

Thinking seriously of buying one.
    I've a mate in Perthshire/invernesshire who's had Meopta on a .270 that's on its second barrel! Never moves, great glass and the right money, saw them at the shooting show this year and was greatly impressed by the scopes and bino's, would buy one in a heart beat even though I'm a Swarovski man at heart, can't beat their value imho.