Thread: wild boar illuminated scope or not

wild boar illuminated scope or not

I am hoping to go on a driven boar hunt next year and wondered if it would be worth while to buy an illuminated scope, and would x2 magnification be to much mag. All feed back much appreciated.

Illuminated scopes are great for driven boar x2 is Ok. If your going to poland i think x3 is the max you can use.

Have a look at the CDI reticle in the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 it's a cracking combination for driven shooting.

Attachment 56331

I have a budget of about 800. And want the scope to be my casual stalking scope as well. Although I would like a swarovski, I don't think my budget will cut it and not sure if it would be good enough for me other stalking?

Blog Entries

wild boar illuminated scope or not

You should pick up a Z4i second hand for 800. Z4i 1.25-4x24 with the above reticule will be spot on for boar.

I've never taken a deer at more than 100 meters personally. Mostly a 3-9 scope has been what I've used for that. Mainly on about 8 power.

I think this is the job for two different scopes. It's what QR rings are designed for.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 09-05-2015 at 05:10.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    I think this is the job for two different scopes. It's what QR rings are designed for.
    This. Depending on your setup, 800 could give you e.g. Aimpoint and two sets of QD rings.

My suggestion is to try and find a moving target range and test your current setup against rifles with red dot or low mag variable. And don't shoot in the usual way, instead wait until the target is visible and then try to make a shot as fast as you can, or shoot twice in the same run if permitted. Shoot from shorter distances like 25-50m if allowed.

If buying a do-it-all scope, be wary that all illuminated scopes are not daytime visible. Pay attention to reticle design, thin duplex etc. isn't the fastest when acquiring sight picture.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I have one of these on my .308: Leupold Optics VX€R 1.25-4x20mm - | Leupold Optics

I've been very happy with it.

The boar less so

P.S. Macleod's have a Swarovski 1.25-4x24 illuminated reticule in your price range: http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER%2...OCK%20LIST.pdf
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 09-05-2015 at 07:21.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Cheers for the help chaps, looks like Im gonna have to keep me 6x42 and add another scope to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Have a look at the CDI reticle in the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 it's a cracking combination for driven shooting.

Attachment 56331

That's what I use on driven game and it is excellent. A scope with a wide Field of View is an absolute must and for me this is the best there is. I have tried Aimpoints and Zeiss Red Dots but nothing compares to the Z6i. Reflex type scopes don't do it for me at all. Avoid using magnification. Another tip, practise as much as you can. I use 300WM and 9.3x63 for driven hunting but practise with a 222. It is much cheaper! Back to the scope, an illuminated reticle definitely aids target acquisition especially if you are in a forest.