Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dubious practices

Dubious practices

Hello,
    I've posted this firstly to avoid that anymore of you would be ripped of as happened to myself and a friend of mine. Secondly to see if anyone could give us some tips how to handle and get our money back.

About 1 years ago we ordered at ‘ Decoying.co.uk ‘ a few items (dvd's).
    We p
    aid this with Visa card on the Internet and asked for delivery at the home of a friend of ours, in UKn to avoid high delivery note to Belgium.
    After 1 year nothing has been delivered yet.

After tel. call in November 2009, Decoying told us that these items normally are ordered by the customers at the end of the year, that they are out of stock, but would be back on stock again at the end of the year 2009.

These DVD's were still exposed on their website although they were out of stock, and indeed they are still on the website by today.

As an alternative to those missing items
    they suggested to buy other products that we did not need.

After several e-mails and a dozen of phonecalls to Decoying, still nothing has changed.

They always promise but in fact nothing is done. Their only comment is : “Is it still not right sir ? We will arrange this immediately.

Wel’ll
    give you discount for future orders. "
    We have send a complaint to LancWigan.APT@gmp.police.uk and received below answer :
    Thank you for your email to the Wigan NPT. I have read through your letter and at this stage I believe this is potentially a civil matter and not a criminal matter.
    I would advise to contact trading standards and/or the citizens advice bureau and they will be able to advise you further. If trading standards believe that there may be a case for a criminal investigation they will contact us on your behalf.

So if any of you could be helpful in anyway, thanks a lot.
    Dirk

Why do you need the trading standards to tell the police that a crime may have been committed, I always thought a complaint where someones money had been accepted & goods not delivered was a potential crime, are these plods too busy chasing road fund dodgers or the odd pigeon shooter to do their job?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Dirk. this is shocking, I don't know why the police can not bring a case against them, but think there is a good chance that trading standards will push it if you contact them.

maybe a daft question but....

have you tried telling them to simply cancel the order and credit the amount back to your card ?

Dirk

Who's Visa card was it? Have Decoying.co.uk actually taken money from the visa card? If so when did they take the payment? I ask this as you don't say and most shops in the UK wont take payment until items are dispatched. If they have taken payment, have you asked for the money to be credited back to the visa card? If so when did you ask? When they suggested you buy other items, did you go along with this? What was your reply?

Yes Lee, we've asked the moneu back but everytime they said goods will be availabe soon.
    Purdeydog : it was my friends Visa card. They took the money of the card after we ordered the dvd's. We asked our money back but got no response to it. We did not buy other things as we were only interested in these dvd's.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Lems View Post
    Yes Lee, we've asked the moneu back but everytime they said goods will be availabe soon.
    Purdeydog : it was my friends Visa card. They took the money of the card after we ordered the dvd's. We asked our money back but got no response to it. We did not buy other things as we were only interested in these dvd's.
    Make a formal complaint to the police its obtaining financial reward by deception if no goods or services were supplied

raise the issue with Visa, dispute the charge and ask them to refund the money.

For this to be a criminal offence you (Police) would have to be able to prove that the company never had any intention of supplying goods. Fraud requires an element of pretence. If this is a genuine company that has potentially gone bust and this just maybe the case in that their suppliers may be not wishing to supply them with stock hence the out of stock situation it is a civil matter.

I would suggest taking the matter up with Trading Standards. If they have had other complaints and may be in a position to advise whether there is a fraud or a civil matter.

Dirk Lems,

I think you should do 3 things:

1. Make a formal complaint to the police; use their website and even email their Chief Constable, I have done this in the past;
    2. Contact the credit card company as this is their vendor that you are having problems with; again I have used Visa to complain about a retailer before and they were very helpful i.e. I got my money back from Visa.
    3. Formally complain to decoying.co.uk i.e. in writing (email through their web site is good enough) and tell them you have registered a complaint with the police and Visa.

Hope this helps.

ATB
    Les