Old out board motor

mark-joppa

The magpie in me could let this go to dumped when clearing out a relatives garage.It has two cylinders and the prop is moving so not seized .Is it worth splitting and trying to get in back working.I tried to get some info from googling the name stamped on top but with not much luck !!
Any advise would be appreciated,make and if it has any value .

Thanks

View attachment 56364View attachment 56365

Last edited:
Very easy rebuild also recommend the one or two websites that explain all. Usually can get them go without new parts

Should be a number stamped on the side of the block, from that it's easy to find the model and date of manufacture. Easy fix, old seagulls never die, the just need a tap with a 4lb hammer occasionally !
A good one in original condition goes for between £150 and £300 depending on the model, they are quite popular with folk that have boats of a similar vintage.

Not a seagull, different manufacturer. Possibly 30's or 40's and definitely worth saving. Whatever you do don't scrap it, I'll pay a carrier to ship it down here if that's the only way of saving it. Haven't a clue about value but nothing of this age should be scrapped.
Shouldn't be too hard to get running but parts may have to be made now.

Best thing the happened to my Seagull was that some ******* stole it from my fathers garage.

Forced me to buy a decent (Yamaha) outboard.

there used to be quite a few Seagull outboards on Shetland they needed a lot of oil in the petrol mix on a still evening in summer you could see the smoke trail on the water long after the boat had landed , ,the ones with the reduction gearbox were heavy on petrol ,though easy to work on at sea if they stopped that wasnt so often ,the one you have isnt a Seagull but worth keeping you will find that it was made to run on leaded petrol so you will have to use the additive ,don't bother getting a pr of water ski's .

My brother and a friend dredged for oysters in Clew Bay, County Mayo in 1979 using a Seagull Silver Century on the back of Boston Whaler. Unsinkable, drawing only a couple of feet fully loaded, and unstoppable with the Seagull. They could go go places the fishing boats couldn't reach. They lived the life of Reilly all winter. The Seagull is in my shed and would probably start with the minimum of fuss.

Ion

Really?? I heard they were indestructible! I've lamented not buying the one I saw a decade or so back.~Muir

The number of times I rowed home because of that brute flooding and refusing to start...

Should have thrown it overboard.

You could go round the world with a seagull... If you had another boat to carry the fuel.
Fairly indestructible. Been tested after burying on the beach below high tide mark for yonks. Marine equivalent to P-H rifles - designed to still function with sand in the works.
My sailing boat was built 1953, and has seagull outboard of similar vintage. Always starts 3rd pull. Fuel mix is 10:1 and is fine with unleaded.

I've a seagull outboard in the garage as well .... I'll give it back to my old man at some point clear my feet , bugger stuck it in there to gie him room!

The British Seagull was and still is a very reliable outboard motor clean fuel,clean the carb, adjust the points, keep a check on the gearbox oil and away you go there are plenty in use along the south coast, you can run them on unleaded it makes no difference as they have no valve seats to burn out, i used one for many years and it is still in my shed and starts with two or three pulls, i only replaced it because you could always smell the fuel when it was in the back of the car, i bought a little honda four stroke, what a cracking little motor very quiet, and a joy to use, but will it still be running in fifty years, i doubt it, cheers Geoff

I was given an old seagull silver century last year. It had been in the sailing club shed for the last fifteen plus years. Drained the sludge out of the fuel tank, swilled it out with some fresh fuel. Took carb off and squirted it with degreaser. Put it back on. Took plug out - poored some fuel / oil in - let it sit for a few min to soak and turned it over. Poor some fuel through the carb. Turned it over some more by hand. Then pulled it over with cord. Now spinning nicely. Plug back in, fuel on, choke on and at third pull she fired up. Shut it down. Took it down and bunged it in the engine tank at the club ( a wheely bin full of water). Pulled it over again and it fired and let it run until out of fuel. Now used regularly.

there is a website - saving old seagulls - well worth a look.

I can recall many a day on lochs watching the fuel/oil slick on the water behind the boat from the old seagull chuntering away.....

Nostalgia does not make them better
worth saving nevertheless

Back