Thread: A Close Encounter

A Close Encounter

I went up to our ground in the borders last weekend to look for a buck and had a close encounter with a doe that reminded me that some experiences will stay with you forever, long after you have forgotten the bucks you have shot.I was stalking along a track beside some clear fell that has been replanted. The weather was awful with rain and a howling wind and as i worked my way along the track i kept stopping and glassing but could see nothing. I was reaching the end of the clear fell so decided to take some shelter under an overhanging tree on the side of the track. I sat on a lump of rock glassing the area when out of a hollow abou 20 yards in front of me popped a yearling doe that i had not seen. I watched her for about 10 minutes as she worked her way closer to me and she ended up in front of me just the other side of the track. I kept perfectly still as she kept staring at me trying to work out what i was. She moved to my left and stepped onto the track then slowly started to move towards me twitching her ears and sniffing. She kept moving forward slowly until she was right in front of me, i kept dead still as she stretched her neck out to full length sniffing for all she was worth until her nose was only a foot from my face when she decided i was no threat ( she had obviously seen me shoot before ) and moved off to my right where after about 6 feet she picked my wind up and bolted as fast as she could. A truly priceless moment and a memory to be treasured, proving that you dont have to pull the trigger to have a really good outing.

Trevor

I know exactly what you mean. Priceless.

One of those "Did that REALLY just happen to me, or was it a figment?" moments. Remember waiting for bunnies to pop out of a small bury under a concrete trough in the field,I heard a little scuffling sound in the leaf litter under the hedgerow the left side of the gate I was using as a rest, A stoat looked out & up at me, paused, & scrambled across my wellies off into the other side of the hedgerow.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    The barn owl that landed on the high seat rail next to me was similar - moments you just can't buy.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

its never about pulling the trigger but the experience

the trigger pulll is a means to an end - meat
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by TH4 View Post
    I went up to our ground in the borders last weekend to look for a buck and had a close encounter with a doe that reminded me that some experiences will stay with you forever, long after you have forgotten the bucks you have shot.I was stalking along a track beside some clear fell that has been replanted. The weather was awful with rain and a howling wind and as i worked my way along the track i kept stopping and glassing but could see nothing. I was reaching the end of the clear fell so decided to take some shelter under an overhanging tree on the side of the track. I sat on a lump of rock glassing the area when out of a hollow abou 20 yards in front of me popped a yearling doe that i had not seen. I watched her for about 10 minutes as she worked her way closer to me and she ended up in front of me just the other side of the track. I kept perfectly still as she kept staring at me trying to work out what i was. She moved to my left and stepped onto the track then slowly started to move towards me twitching her ears and sniffing. She kept moving forward slowly until she was right in front of me, i kept dead still as she stretched her neck out to full length sniffing for all she was worth until her nose was only a foot from my face when she decided i was no threat ( she had obviously seen me shoot before ) and moved off to my right where after about 6 feet she picked my wind up and bolted as fast as she could. A truly priceless moment and a memory to be treasured, proving that you dont have to pull the trigger to have a really good outing.

Trevor
    an awesome experience trevor .

These are great moments trev had a few myself

Amazing Trevor, as good if not better than any trophy buck

Aye, it's like a mind trophy!

Which must be the best kind...
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.