Wind Turbines...

Hi Folks

There is a distinct posibility that in the next 2yrs our ground in Larnarkshire will have wind turnbines erected :rolleyes: the size of the ground is about 800 acres so i am concerned about any impact.

I am sure other stalkers will have come up against this situation, so:

1. Apart from the intitial disturbance to thinks settle down again & Roe move back into the area?
  2. Will the foresty group impose an restrictions on shooting near the turbines? (a pal who has a shoot in Wales can only shoot areas outside a 400m radius of any turnbine...)
  3. Would there be a just case to get reduced stalking fees due to any disturbance aspect?..
Any feedback would be appreciated....

Rgds

Rob

I would be extreemly surprised if deer moved back at all into the area turbines give off a constant whine and buzz that no creature accepts and it would mask the deers natural hearing defences so will move on.

My views would be to tell them to stick the lease up their jacksie and find somewhere else

Hi Cheshire Lad,

I would not be concerned we had a very large wind turbine put up very near to where i live about 3 years ago (800 yrds to be precise) and prior to this had about 12 resident Roe in a young mixed plantation of about 1000 acre and it made no difference to them at all, I have actually seen the deer within 100 meters of the turbine recently and also in the past two years i have seen the odd Muntjack also move in.

Having said that i am completely against turbines for athethic reasons and the cost/payback time but can honestly say the the noise generated from them is minimal only the rush of wind can be heard when you are very close on a windy day the modern turbines dont whine, what affect several one have together i cant cant really coment because i only have one.

Regards

Deer Stalker

ive stalked on land where turbines have been up and running for a number of years and the roe didnt seem bothered by them at all.

Plenty deer round the turbines at Forth. Would not worry. The access roads are usually better too. Could be a bonus,
JIm

You will have no problem when things settle down i have a wind farm on my ground and the roe don't bother at all with the noise from the turbines,the area is a magnet for them due to all the regrowth.I also keepered a grouse moor which had a 23 turbine wind farm on it the grouse just ignored them and would fly straight under them.
amberdog

the modern turbines dont whine, what affect several one have together i cant cant really coment because i only have one.

Regards

Deer Stalker

They may not whine but what you can always hear with horizontal axis turbines (propeller type) is the whooshing sound of the cavitation or change in pressure as the blade passes in front of the supporting tower. Only vertical axis wind turbines are truly silent being generally less than 40db at 10 metres. They don't seem to bother the deer in Devon where I've seen both reds and roe in close proximity to turbines.

Still waiting to see pictures of deer under turbines but for me i would not take on a lease under them i like to stalk deer in there natural habitat were possible and there is nothing natural about turbines leave them areas to the FC

Near the outskirts of Leipzig, Germany almost next to the autobahn there is maybe 100 of them and every week I saw a dead goose or swan on the ground as I passed by.
So they may help to lure in foxes.
Martin

This is only a bit of whitlees wind farm.The wind farm on your ground is going to be bigger.I have walked through whitelees and never seen a deer.I have found the the deer tend to move to the farm land on the out side edge of the forestery blocks.I would tell them to stick it if i was you all you will get is walkers horse riders bus tours ect.Whitlees has 140 turbines i think the one up in abbinton is to have twice as much

cheers andy

Attachments

• Whitelee_72.jpg
    Whitelee_72.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
This is only a bit of whitlees wind farm.The wind farm on your ground is going to be bigger.I have walked through whitelees and never seen a deer.I have found the the deer tend to move to the farm land on the out side edge of the forestery blocks.I would tell them to stick it if i was you all you will get is walkers horse riders bus tours ect.Whitlees has 140 turbines i think the one up in abbinton is to have twice as much

cheers andy

152 Turbines

Leon

My mate has his fingers crossed that it goes through as he is hoping to get the contract to build the turbine foundations.

Personally i think it's a farse. It's been proven that they are economically a joke and they can never work off the carbon footprint created by manufacturing and building them. Lastly, i've been told by those in the know that the current generation of turbines, like those in whitlees are failing - the aluminium collet at the base of the composite blades are prone to cracking which will require a massive investment modify.

I shoot over the whitelee forest and i get my fair share but as said i take most from the out side edge heres a nice buck that is now in the larder.
junebeast002kristofssmallbuck.jpg

Only 400 mtrs from the turbines but far enough for me.

guess you are near (the bowbutts pub , now houses)then outside edge of the skioch/whitelees.Theres a burn between your picture and the road.Black caulder burn ,nice trout you must be near to me.never hunted there just know the road.

Last edited:
Yes mate very near had many a pint in the but,s and shot hundreds of deer off the white lee its were i live Auldhouse area. Hope hamilton is doing well do a wee bit out there as well quarter muttonhole road the crem to name just a few. Some good deer in them areas had two medals this year from there.

Back