Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your policy on Muntjac Doe?

What's your policy on Muntjac Doe?

Hi there,

I've got a muntjac doe that I'm trying to decide whether to shoot or not. I'm aware of the generally held advice about shooting only young ones or heavily pregnant ones and wouldn't like to shoot her and then find that she was milky and so leaving dependant young. I'm probably not experienced enough to know if it's a young one but it looks like all of the other female muntys I've seen about. I've seen her a few times and there has never been a buck following here although I know there are a few about.. Any thoughts?

Cheers, J

yes I shoot a lot of muntjac leave the does for the moment and shoot the bucks ,if you are over populated with muntjac then obviously shoot the does ie pregnant ones

Quote Originally Posted by ckwoodland View Post
    yes I shoot a lot of muntjac leave the does for the moment and shoot the bucks ,if you are over populated with muntjac then obviously shoot the does ie pregnant ones
    I think that J111 was more asking for advice on assessing how pregnant the doe might be.

There have been discussions on here about how to tell if a doe was pregnant or not. And it seemed to be that nobody could be 100% sure.
    not that that will help you at all.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

As I stalk recreationally I will not shoot Muntjac Does.

atb Tim

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    We shoot muntjac does.

I will try to shoot them as heavily pregnant as possible. Muntjac does get to a size where it is pretty obvious they are pregnant.

If I see a buck chasing a doe I will normally leave the doe unless she is obviously young, as the chances are that any doe suitable for mating with has a youngster nearby.....or at least that's how I see it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Its a difficult one, to be honest, if you want to control muntjac you really have to shoot all the does that you can and take a chance with the fawns.

The only time I would leave a muntjac doe would be if I actually see her with a young fawn or if she is being actively pursued by a buck indicating that she is most likely in oestrus having just had a fawn.

Obviously if you are not under any pressure to reduce the herd then by all means be more selective.

The shooting of does is important if you want to reduce the population.

If possible observe the doe before the shot, you should be able to tell if a doe is heavily pregnant through your binos and will also give you the chance to see if she has any dependent young in tow. If you see a doe leave cover and then look back, wait, as it can be an indication that she has a fawn bringing up the rear.

The more you are out and observing them the more you will learn and be able to make better judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Hi there,

I've got a muntjac doe that I'm trying to decide whether to shoot or not. I'm aware of the generally held advice about shooting only young ones or heavily pregnant ones and wouldn't like to shoot her and then find that she was milky and so leaving dependant young. I'm probably not experienced enough to know if it's a young one but it looks like all of the other female muntys I've seen about. I've seen her a few times and there has never been a buck following here although I know there are a few about.. Any thoughts?

Cheers, J
    What your policy is, or what others on SD may think, is not really the question you should ask. It is what your landowner wants that matters! What is his policy?
    For example, the Muntjac population here in The Cotswolds is getting to the point where some landowners now tell me to shoot on sight, even is the shot will result in a less than perfect carcass for venison. So from the landowners point of view conservation (of their woodland, newly planted saplings and BAP-species plants) is more important than the ethical production of a clean carcass for venison. Muntjac are dealt with in the same manner as rabbits and fox.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Shoot on sight, regardless of age, sex. Only ever held back if a youngster in tow.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama