peggy

stone

peggy is a 7 1/2 year old neutered black lab bitch,
at the age of 6 months she was diagnosed with the condition 'labrador retriever myopathy'(only found in working strain labs & very rare).
in the last 2 years she has had both thyroid glands removed as they were carcinoma.she is now on calcium supplement & thyroxine tablets to support this.
However,she now appears to have a liking for chewing leather.
My vet says she is just destructive but i disagree.
I think she is lacking in something, not sure what?
Any suggestions???
or has anyone experienced this as this dog has not chewed since puppyhood
many thanks in advance
stone

Hi Stone,

As far as I'm led to believe, after the puppy stage of chewing, dogs chew for two main reasons

1. There something lacking in their diet.
2. Boredom!

It might sound obvious but have you tried one of these so called indestructable dog chews. My last lab colud eat one in less than two hours.

These are the only things I can think of.

Nick

hi nick
i was on the same wave length except boredam is not an issuse in peggy's case, she has split feeds now so she is fed 4 times aday instead of 2 and banned to the kitchen at night(bed time),
i know leather is the nearest thing to food and the more leather is chewed the better it tastes just not so good if swallowed ,in my mind she is lacking in something just don't know what ?
many thanks again nick
stone

Hi Stone
One of my gwp's had a thyroid problem and was on soloxine for years.
She also not only chewed and ripped up her bedding but she would then eat it.
I didn't think much of it at the time (I had to put her down at xmas) because gwp's can be vandals but hearing about your dog, maybe mine was lacking in something.
I don't think mine was boredom either,her kennelmate (also gwp) never ripped her bedding or ate it.
What was perhaps lacking I don't know.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Kindest Regards,

Gyr

Back