Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a 6.5x55 sufficient enough to drop a big woodland red stag ?

Is a 6.5x55 sufficient enough to drop a big woodland red stag ?

Hi guys,

im planning a Trip out on the red stags during the rut, in England . There are some real big 280-300lb beasts on the ground il be stalking. Having made the decision to solely use a 6.5x55 now days ( blaser R8) I'm concerned it may not have enough grunt to drop a big woodland beast, humanly.

i use Hornady SST ballistic tip-140grain, on just about everything. Any views or experiences on this would be really helpful.

i have bought a box of sako ammo which is 156grain soft point to try. But I'm inclined to think a BT would cause more damage than a heavier soft point.

Look forward to your views.

more than fine. buy the 156g norma vulkan, it's the type of hunting it was designed for (woodland moose)

Quote Originally Posted by andykat View Post
    Hi guys,

im planning a Trip out on the red stags during the rut, in England . There are some real big 280-300lb beasts on the ground il be stalking. Having made the decision to solely use a 6.5x55 now days ( blaser R8) I'm concerned it may not have enough grunt to drop a big woodland beast, humanly.

i use Hornady SST ballistic tip-140grain, on just about everything. Any views or experiences on this would be really helpful.

i have bought a box of sako ammo which is 156grain soft point to try. But I'm inclined to think a BT would cause more damage than a heavier soft point.

I, and others, have found some dubious performance issues with SST's. My daughter hit a 150 lb whitetail broadside and had it run off. My hunting buddy shot a whitetail doe at 200 yards and the bullet went straight through without expanding any appreciable amount. There have been other stories, as well. I would use Sierra Game Kings -a bullet I have had nothing but great success with, or the Hornady Interlocks; #2 on my list of good, servicable bullets.

I have a good stockpile of SST in 6.5, 7mm, and 30 calibers and they will only get used for practice now.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by andykat View Post
    Hi guys,

Dump the SST's and go get some 140gn barnes tsx , that will do the job !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I guess the guide your stalking with will have an opinion on your choice of cal and bullet type ask his advice also .
    the guy I have stalked woodland red with in England prefers me to bring my 308 And leave the 6.5 at home in the cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I guess the guide your stalking with will have an opinion on your choice of cal and bullet type ask his advice also .
    the guy I have stalked woodland red with in England prefers me to bring my 308 And leave the 6.5 at home in the cabinet
    benefit of the 6.5x55 is extraction from woodland, they run all the way to the roadside

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post

It it was actually his opinion or lack of knowledge of the 6.5 that has made me ask the question, thanks for your feed back, all sound like good advice. I should have asked this before buying another 100 SST's ��

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    more than fine. buy the 156g norma vulkan, it's the type of hunting it was designed for (woodland moose)
    That's what I run through my R8... awesome cartridge.. will drop anything that gets in its way! Not cheap but well worth every penny

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    Dump the SST's and go get some 140gn barnes tsx , that will do the job !
    can I get these in the UK? I seem to struggle to get a variety of 6.5 ammo anywhere