Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer

Deer

A quick question I would like others input in. As I understand it park deer are not classed as wild deer. So how do the BDS run the portfolio gathering scheme for DSC L2 with all three culls done in a park, when the criteria for a candidates L2 is wild deer. So my question is are park deer classed as wild deer.

Sivell,
    Yes, they are classed as wild deer. The Deer Act applies. I recently attended the BDS Deer Management LANTRA award course at Andover and asked this very question. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivell View Post
    A quick question I would like others input in. As I understand it park deer are not classed as wild deer. So how do the BDS run the portfolio gathering scheme for DSC L2 with all three culls done in a park, when the criteria for a candidates L2 is wild deer. So my question is are park deer classed as wild deer.
    A couple more questions if I may, to add to further discussion on this topic. If I were to enclose several thousand acres of land within a deer proof fence would the deer within still be wild? How small would the enclosure have to be, or what level of "artificiality" would have to occur before the deer lost their "wildness"?

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    It entirely depends on whether you run a deer park or a deer farm. The two are completely different.
    A deer park holding park animals are classified as wild deer and are therefore subject to the deer act.
    On deer farm the deer are not classified as wild and therefore the deer act does not apply.
    The difference is that a farm is being run for profit and a park is amenity.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

As you say different legislation applies, (as also applied to deer farms compared to normal stock - field slaughter bering one).

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I don't think it is as clear cut as that though. Some parks do run at a profit through venison production. See pages 16/17:

http://www.bdfpa.org/newsletters/SprvI92AJ.pdf

Last edited by Orion; 11-05-2015 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    It entirely depends on whether you run a deer park or a deer farm. The two are completely different.
    A deer park holding park animals are classified as wild deer and are therefore subject to the deer act.
    On deer farm the deer are not classified as wild and therefore the deer act does not apply.
    What is the difference between a deer park & farm.

Can I have a several thousand acre enclosure with small handling yards in a small corner & be called a "farm" or a small one hundred acre enclosure with no handling facilities & be called a park?

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post

Can I have a several thousand acre enclosure with small handling yards in a small corner & be called a "farm" or a small one hundred acre enclosure with no handling facilities & be called a park?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yes
    Touche!
    Can I have both? Lets say several thousand acres of "park" & then have 100 acres of "farm" in the corner?

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Touche!
    Can I have both? Lets say several thousand acres of "park" & then have 100 acres of "farm" in the corner?

Sharkey
    Sharkey, as you're in Aus there are probably very different rules & regs that govern this at your end of the world
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Sharkey, as you're in Aus there are probably very different rules & regs that govern this at your end of the world
    Yes, & we do have some pretty daft laws. For the record I was born in Britain, was introduced to deer in Britain & still hold a passport & nationality (& some connection, respect & appreciation if it isn't obvious).

So, I play a wee bit with deer, & I guess I'm a bit of a deer tragic, & in this context that which I was attempting to do with respect to the thread & the OP, is to draw out when or if "wildness" ceases to exist in "park" deer.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."