what do i go for???

mosa

looking for a 243 set up has got my head done in been offered/saw in a shop

cz 550 american with a dm80 mod £500

browning a bolt doctor scope t4 mod £700

parker hale £300

tikka m55 screw cut £250

or hold out for a 2nd hand or new T3?????

please help me decide:rolleyes:

Well they will all get the job done. Do you want new or s/h? Do you want wood or plastic? If you can try them out, if not which one fits you best. Consistancy of quality probably goes to the Browning. I'm sure others here own some of these rifles and can tell you more.
ATB
Matt

It all depends on your budget; I would be inclined to go for the T3 with an s&b 6x42 Hungarian on top and any moderator. But if going second hand ask the RFD to guarantee accuracy i.e. if you cant get it to shoot sub 1.5 inches and you know you are capable of it then the RFD will take it back and change it for something else. This wont stop you getting something coming to the end of its life but it should prevent you ending up with something completely shot out. Some keepers give a rifle so much use it could be shot out but only be a few years old and still look quite good from the outside if he has looked after it.

Dave

Tikka M55 over the rest and a T3

Very well engineered, just depends on the condition of the barrel.

Also good base for future rebarelling.

Steve

looking for a 243 set up has got my head done in been offered/saw in a shop

cz 550 american with a dm80 mod £500

browning a bolt doctor scope t4 mod £700

parker hale £300

tikka m55 screw cut £250

or hold out for a 2nd hand or new T3?????

please help me decide:rolleyes:

Hi There,

You have asked a tough question my friend ;) and I will have to go along with the one which feels best to you when you shoulder it. Fit is more important than most think :D.

Now the Parker-Hale will depend a lot on the exact model and for that price I would expect a very good 1200 Super at least or a nice M18 Classic. The 1100 Lwt is another that might be in that price range possibly a 1100 De Luxe but certainly not a model 1000 Std. Condition determines all! :cool:.

The CZ is a good rifle by all accounts but I think they took a backwards step with the 550 and prefer the older ZKK 601.

Sorry but I am not fond of the Browning A-Bolt.

Now the Tikka M55 was an excellent rifle but at that price I am thinking it might be in a bit of a sorry state.

Asking about accuracy and performance is a good idea :) as is asking if the rifle can be exchanged if it does not suit you after trying it out. It's also a good idea to ask for the bore to be cleaned on a used rifle. I don't like the Moly coated bullets due to the fouling they leave behind.

I am afraid in the end it's got to be your decision as after all it's your money and your going to be the one using it :D.

I've got the T3 Stainless Synthetic in 6.5 x 55, and I'm well happy with it. Excellent accuracy with factory ammo. Scope wise I got an excellent price on a 3-12 x 56 Docter, however if I was buying again, would probably go for fixed 8x56 S&B.

As you are doing foxing also, you might want to look for a Zeiss Conquest 6.5 - 20 x 50. I have just bought one a few months old for £550 to sit on my hmr. Would also sit well on a .243 and give you the extra mag for your foxing.

Moderator wise, it's the Jet-Z, which has excellent moderation, although it makes the rifle unbalanced as it is an end of barrel mod. Going to try an overbarrel mod to see if it improves the balance.

Your welcome to have a look at any of my gear, just ask.

cheers

Stu

p.s. make sure whatever you buy is easy to resell;)

Cheers Stu. I am just in the middle of a tikka t3 hunter deal which comes with a t8 fitted so i will only need rings and a scope and i think the S&B 8x56 is the way i am going.

just an update chaps i bought the tikka m55 243 just need some bits before i can get out

Top Dollar mate.

Best Tikka action by far and lends itself nicely to a custom barrel and some modding.

Steve

just a quick note. Went out last night and after i got on the paper it was giving me 1" groups or less at 100yrds with winchester cpx2 100grns. quite happy with that :good:

Good choice my friend!......the old M55 takes some beating!

Good luck with it and keep us all posted as to overall progress.

regards

steve

Back