Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition return??

Ammunition return??

hi all, i recently purchased a box of 130gr winchester .270 rounds brand new from my local shop. after inspecting them i have found that 6 out of twenty cases have dents to them, not huge dents but dents all the same. the bullet seating is way out with over 1.6mm difference between rounds. all in all im not impressed and will not be risking putting these things through my rifle.

i will try and return them.

has anyone else had this sort of problem? has anyone returned factory rounds due to problems like this before?

Thanks.

Skipp.

Without looking closer it sound like a case I heard of previously where a rfd was home loading once fired cases and putting them back into the packaging then charging full amount for the named brand gear.

Winchester centrefire soft point ammo is notoriously variable. Some rifles do like it though. I have had to use .270. 130 and 150 grainers and didn't get on with them. They do open well on deer, but grouped badly. And there is variable bullet seating depth, variable case length, variable bullet weight.

I was thinking along the same lines as Paul. It sounds way below the standard you would expect even from "cheaper" brand ammo. As you get older you get more cynical.
    It may be genuinely poor quality factory ammo in which case the seller should replace it no probs and then he should take the matter up with the maker. However if it is reloaded stuff passed off as new then proceed with caution. If you just give it back to him and he replaces it he is free to continue doing the same to others. If he suspects that you suspect, he will not want that ammo to be looked at by an expert. Maybe keep it out of his hands until an expert can look at it. But then, how do you prove it was bought from him?

I returned 60 rounds of Lapua .223, some were seated without any neck tension, when making safe, rounds were self pulling, leaving the bullet in the lead & powder in all the magazine spaces.I heard later that a large consignment went back to the manufacturers
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines as Paul. It sounds way below the standard you would expect even from "cheaper" brand ammo. As you get older you get more cynical.
    It may be genuinely poor quality factory ammo in which case the seller should replace it no probs and then he should take the matter up with the maker. However if it is reloaded stuff passed off as new then proceed with caution. If you just give it back to him and he replaces it he is free to continue doing the same to others. If he suspects that you suspect, he will not want that ammo to be looked at by an expert. Maybe keep it out of his hands until an expert can look at it. But then, how do you prove it was bought from him?
    It dosent need to go to an expert, this is easily checked by yourself.
    Pull the bullet empty the powder content and de prime.
    No matter how good a case cleaner you have it does not removed the fired powder residue internally and neither will it totall removed some slight residue to the primer pocket even with a primer cleaner and brush some black staining would be evident even to a novice. Even with one firing the brass would show these signs internally
    Stu

thanks for the replys everyone, i had not even considered the possibility that these rounds could be anything other than brand new factory loads! i will pop them back and see what the chap has to say about the condition of these rounds. i am waiting for my.270 reloading equipment to arrive so the need for factory rubbish will soon be a thing of the past! bullet heads being left in the barrel, with lapua, i am truly astonished.

we think so much about the rifle, scope and equipment that we need for our work, yet commonly we seem to be let down by poor quality ammunition.

thanks chaps.

skipp.

I was inititally recommended Federal ammo when I purchased my rifle, and it shot OK but not fantastic. However, I lost all faith in it when I examined a random selection of bullets. The boxes had clearly been dropped at some point as the soft points were all squidged and the seating depth was highly variable. I've got a piccy here somewhere.... Look at the grove at the bottom of the bullet - some are seated much deeper than others.

Hi 75,
    Those are absolute rubbish, I think even a complete novice at home loading could do better than that. However in defence of Federal ammo, before I loaded my own I used Federal a fair ammount and never had anything like that.

John.

i will try and upload a piccy of these 270 win's i am refering to, it makes you pic seem of reasonable quality!!!

Thanks for the replys

Skipp.