Thread: stick makers

stick makers

I have a decent little 10pt red stag that would make a few good stalking sticks. see attached pic.

His 50th is coming up (edit, my brother in law) in less than a month, and I thought maybe someone here would offer to make him a nice stalking stick with two way piece of antler, the beam topped with ebony or similar, perhaps with a collar on the antler to stick joint and a steel or brass type cup to protect the bottom, maybe varnished? you get my drift.

Well, what I was hoping is someone could turn me out a nice stick for him before early June, in exchang for the antlers on the below trophy. Ie. i could cut them off and post. They could then use the rest of the antlers to make other sticks for sale?

Ok, might not be of interest to anyone, and I do make sticks myself, but I just don't really have the time in the next few weeks.

Maybe one can even nail in a wee brass plate with name and/or date ?? anyone done this before?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	56526

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Would love to help out, but because of work commitments I'm not likely to have any free time until mid/late June at the earliest.

Is your brother-in-law a shooting man? If so maybe consider a magnetic ferrule at the bottom of the shaft - that way he can pick up empty cartridges. You can get them from The Stick Man: http://www.thestickman.co.uk/ferrules.htm

From how you describe the stick, do you mean something like the one third from the right in the picture below?

No collar on the join, though, as my tutor taught me that collars are only used on sticks to hide bad joins

Of course if you simply must have a collar then perhaps consider one of these: Highland Horn | sterling (hallmarked) silver collars

As it's for a special Birthday, maybe also consider buying one of these: Highland Horn - preformed tops & handles - sterling silver topped wide prong and then using the sterling silver caps on the antler rather than the horn?

Now that would look really special.

Last edited by willie_gunn; 13-05-2015 at 18:42. Reason: I realised there were six sticks in the picture, not five, so there wasn't a middle one!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    163 views and just 2 replies

PKL, I hope you received some PM's as well?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hiya PKL if you want to PM me your Mobil no il ring you and discuss what you would like and if I can il see what I could do bazil