Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Boar - Minimum calibre?

Wild Boar - Minimum calibre?

This doesn't really effect me as I don't have the opportunity to shoot Wild Boar in my area, but it might be of interest to others so I am asking out of curiosity.
    I have just watched this video:
    George Digweed says on the video (@ around 1:30) that Sussex police say that you must have Wild Boar on your conditions. I'm not faulting what George says but what I am questioning is the need for Wild Boar to be specified on your conditions. If you have the condition of AOLQ on your certificate it would cover you for Wild Boar without having to have Wild Boar specified.
    Is this just another example of a Firearms Office making up more rules/restrictions up as they go along?
    Any thoughts gents?
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 14-05-2015 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Is this just another example of a Firearms Office making up more rules/restrictions up as they go along?
    Yes, no legal minimum (although .270 I believe is recommended as a minimum) also aolq would cover boar.

I was told by a local deer keeper that Dorset Police would not sanction anything less 'powerful' than .270 for Boar and that .308 was not 'powerful' enough. The Firearms Officer does not agree, so I am going to swap out my .270 for another .308.

Theres a similar discussion about this in one of the wild boar threads, or rather thread diverted to this!

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    I was told by a local deer keeper that Dorset Police would not sanction anything less 'powerful' than .270 for Boar and that .308 was not 'powerful' enough. The Firearms Officer does not agree, so I am going to swap out my .270 for another .308.
    Another example of a LITTLE knowledge being employed incorrectly, re .308 that guy has seagulls in his head.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

teh Vid was put up in 2013 and says was last year so 2012

only in the last couple of years that AOLQ has been Pushed as std by t Working group committee

so most had to ask for Boar as a condition

and you do have to have it on your licence either Wild boar specifically (where they would insist on the min cal HO guides ) or AOLQ puts them on their

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Dorset (im Dorset) will give you AOLQ on all rifles as per HO Guidance and Working group committee insistence so you can use anything your happy shooting one with if offered a single boar day I would take my 6.5 (obviously not driven boar) as its AOLQ ..

if i wanted to do Boar shooting on a regulater basis i would put in for a larger cal because I can and they cant say ive a gun suited as HO guidance recommends min cal

If you ask for a gun slot Reason Boar they will insist that the min cal is as per HO guidlines

before the insistence of HO guidance being followed DOrset wouldn't give 17HMR for Reason Fox and would wack a mentor on everybody and not give AOLQ

I got 17HMR for fox no mentor and AOLQ on all guns this year for 1st grant
    Last edited by FGYT; 14-05-2015 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I have just watched this video:
    As has been said, it's a bit out of date now that the HO Guidance has been revised and the College of Policing Authorised Professional Practice has effectively directed police FLDs to align their procedures with it. Everything has been much simplified, so be guided by the .....................Guidance!

10.38 There is no requirement to establish ‘good reason’ for additional conditions or the
    addition of quarry species to an existing condition where ‘good reason’ already exists
    for the possession of a firearm in the first instance (See chapter 13). Firearms should be
    conditioned to provide flexibility with quarry shooting by allowing all lawful quarry (see
    Appendix 3).

&

13.9 A certificate holder may shoot any quarry that is lawful (where they are authorised to
    shoot). Whilst guidance is provided, it is the responsibility of the shooter and the shooting
    community to know what calibre is suitable for which quarry, and when certain quarry
    is lawful (including the need to obtain or rely upon a licence from the relevant licensing
    authority to permit the shooting of protected species). Once initial “good reason” has been
    established for the possession of a firearm, there is no requirement for “good reason” to be
    demonstrated for additional quarry species or amendments providing the firearms are not
    underpowered for the species
    (see also paragraph 13.17). A cartridge should be capable of
    achieving a humane kill, and it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure that any excess
    energy will be absorbed by the backstop. The “any other lawful quarry” condition
    (which also covers protected species that the certificate holder is licensed to shoot) should
    be applied. If an applicant is suitable to hold a firearm certificate and is deemed safe to
    do so, there is no requirement to restrict the quarry they shoot by the use of conditions
    imposed on the individual’s firearm certificate.

The problem of course being that until wild boar are accorded some form of primary legislation similar to the Deer Act(s) with close seasons, minimum calbres/engergy values, etc., there is no stopping anyone with the AOLQ using any firearm, suitable or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    As has been said, it's a bit out of date now that the HO Guidance has been revised and the College of Policing Authorised Professional Practice has effectively directed police FLDs to align their procedures with it. Everything has been much simplified, so be guided by the .....................Guidance!

10.38 There is no requirement to establish ‘good reason’ for additional conditions or the
    addition of quarry species to an existing condition where ‘good reason’ already exists
    for the possession of a firearm in the first instance (See chapter 13). Firearms should be
    conditioned to provide flexibility with quarry shooting by allowing all lawful quarry (see
    Appendix 3).

&

13.9 A certificate holder may shoot any quarry that is lawful (where they are authorised to
    shoot). Whilst guidance is provided, it is the responsibility of the shooter and the shooting
    community to know what calibre is suitable for which quarry, and when certain quarry
    is lawful (including the need to obtain or rely upon a licence from the relevant licensing
    authority to permit the shooting of protected species). Once initial “good reason” has been
    established for the possession of a firearm, there is no requirement for “good reason” to be
    demonstrated for additional quarry species or amendments providing the firearms are not
    underpowered for the species
    (see also paragraph 13.17). A cartridge should be capable of
    achieving a humane kill, and it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure that any excess
    energy will be absorbed by the backstop. The “any other lawful quarry” condition
    (which also covers protected species that the certificate holder is licensed to shoot) should
    be applied. If an applicant is suitable to hold a firearm certificate and is deemed safe to
    do so, there is no requirement to restrict the quarry they shoot by the use of conditions
    imposed on the individual’s firearm certificate.

The problem of course being that until wild boar are accorded some form of primary legislation similar to the Deer Act(s) with close seasons, minimum calbres/engergy values, etc., there is no stopping anyone with the AOLQ using any firearm, suitable or not!

you can be prosecuted under the CWA1981 for causing unnecessary suffering and cruelty

pretty certain the thing stopping me form using my 17HMR AOLQ on Boar is me

do we need a Act for every Quarry ??? fox goat etc

Just to clarify, HO guidance doesnt have a minimum caliber for Boar. All mention of .270 being the minimum is linked to The Deer Iniative.

See 13.27 in the link below. Also see 13.93 for the chart.
    ttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417199/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v13.pdf

Therefore, the Police are not going against guidelines if they said you already had a caliber that they deemed suitable. I would imagine that most would allow larger as even they know its a much larger and tougher animal.
    In this case HO guidance can be used against them to get what you need just as it usually would but i would be careful relying on it since the chart says that smaller calibers are suitable. It does refer to 13.27 but again, thats not HO guidance, just from an independent organisation.

Devon and Cornwall will grant very large calibers for boar and im sure many others will. This advice is for those living in more restrictive areas.

I've heard from a member on here that Dorset dont believe anything in the UK needs bigger than a 30-06. He has a 375 h&h but had to go abroad with it and then apply for UK use afterwards.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me