Neck Tension

willie_gunn

This from the thread on Ammo Return

I returned 60 rounds of Lapua .223, some were seated without any neck tension

finnbear, I was very interested to read your above post.

Before I started reloading I used Winchester 150gr pretty much exclusively in my .308. However, I've found when reloading that the Winchester cases are lacking neck tension, so much so that in a good proportion of the assembled rounds I can pull the bullets out by hand :eek: Other brass (Lapua, Norma, etc.) processed through exactly the same dies seem fine.

I only neck-size my reloads, so was trying to work out why only the Winchester brass would be causing this problem. I presume it is the brass thickness at the neck that is the cause of the issue? i.e. although the external diameter of the brass is the same, because of thinner cases the internal diameter on the Winchester brass is fractionally bigger. I was surprised that the difference between Winchester and the other makes was so significant.

I now have a lot of Winchester .308 brass that is cleaned and primed, but won't be used :(

willie_gunn

I received no acknowledgment whatsoever from either Lapua, or the importers over this, Can you imagine the scene if a newbie had just shoved another one home by mistake in the heat of the moment?

Advice needed - Like Willie, I too have some primed brass that I would like to de-prime. What's the recommended approach? Thanks JCS

If you don't mind cleaning your rifle, I just pop em in the slide & close up the bolt, then pop em off just like shooting a round, I always make sure I do this into a catcher of some sort, they just blacken the barrel a bit, soon cleans out, much faster than in the press & no chance of eyes or face catching something!

If you don't mind cleaning your rifle, I just pop em in the slide & close up the bolt, then pop em off just like shooting a round, I always make sure I do this into a catcher of some sort, they just blacken the barrel a bit, soon cleans out, much faster than in the press & no chance of eyes or face catching something!

Thanks, I would do that, but the brass is for the old 260 and won't chamber in the new 260. If it did chamber, I would just load something up for practice. I guesstimate that the new chamber is 6-7 thou shorter. What can I do on the reloading bench to get rid of these primers? Rgds JCS

You guys need to catch up!

Back off the decapping rod so that it won't contact the primer and then FL resize as normal. (From the Been there, Done That file...) ~Muir

Back off the decapping rod so that it won't contact the primer and then FL resize as normal

Muir

Thanks - though in fact my original problem is not the primers, it's the lack of neck tension on Winchester brass. I can't understand why only Winchester brass is affected, and would be very grateful for any insight you can provide.

willie_gunn

You guys need to catch up!

Back off the decapping rod so that it won't contact the primer and then FL resize as normal. (From the Been there, Done That file...) ~Muir

Muir. All sorted now, just took out the decapping rod altogether from the bushing die and set the shoulders back ~5thou. Thanks again. JCS

Back