Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot sizes...

Question Boot sizes...

Sorry about yet another boot thread...

I have size 10 1/2 G feet, as measured by Clarks. The right foot is bordering on H

That's wide, for those who don't know.

If anyone has similar size and/or width feet, how do you transpose this into mail ordering boots ?

Example, I tried some Brasher Hillmaster GTX boots on recently when a friend suggested I give them a bash - not wide enough

Meindl Meran GTX size 11 were great, but I would rather a high leg boot given the option, due to an ankle injury leaving me with ongoing weakness.

I'm not precious about brand, and budget is flexible - I don't want to drive all the way to the Alt-Berg factory unless I absolutely have to, but I have had Alt-Berg boots in the past (many years ago now) and I remember getting very good results with them.

So, assuming 10 1/2 G (wide) and usually needing a wide fitting 11, has anyone found boots that are similarly sized to Clark's measurements ?

So not necessarily a 'which boot' thread - more of a 'which boot is more likely to fit'...

Thanks for looking

The Danner company have several last sizes/widths, I found this out after buying several pairs & wondering why they had different characteristics for a given boot size.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...93112503,d.d24
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

redwing offer a wide boot, and I can't rate them highly enough on quality and comfort, footwear country are the only uk stockists I know of....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Meindl have several high-leg hunting models in a wide fitting - their sizing is pretty accurate.

I have wide feet of just under size 11. I have 2 pairs of Meindl high leg boots in size 11. One pair is the Antarktis & I find them to be a fantastic fit with great ankle support, if perhaps slightly heavy. The sole is comparatively quiet too.

The other pair is the Douvre Extreme (high) & I also have a pair of the short ones. They are a very well made boot but the size 11 is too small & I can only wear them with office socks. Remember that this is supposed to be a wide-fitting boot; I should really have got the 11.5 to be comfortable. The sole is very hard & consequently rather noisy, although it lasts forever.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    redwing offer a wide boot, and I can't rate them highly enough on quality and comfort, footwear country are the only uk stockists I know of....
    Some of the Irish Setter boots come in very wide sizes, too, and high top. Irish Setter and Vasque are owned by Red Wing.
    I went to the Red Wing store last week to get some new safety shoes and tried on several boots. I have a narrow foot and they had a Red Wing in a B width that fit like a glove.

If you go to a company store, they have an electronic foot measuring machine, which you stand on. It will show the distribution of weight on the soles of your feet, the pressure points, and sizes of each in all sorts of dimensions, and recommend an insert for each foot for the boot.

Blog Entries

Boot sizes...

My feet are same as yours. I find my most reliable sizing is a European 46

I have given up on Brasher GTX Supelites which I had for years ( series of boots worn to destruction ) Brasher moved production off shore and the materials and quality are no longer what your friend and I once loved.

I recently bought Miendl Toronto boots on the back of a surplus pair of Miendl Desert boots that pleasantly surprised me.

I'm a couple hundred miles into the Toronto's now. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and took no breaking in at all.

Hope they are high enough leg for you.

Please go get a pair fitted at a shop. For 10 saving on line it saves a lot of pain.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Some of the Irish Setter boots come in very wide sizes, too, and high top. Irish Setter and Vasque are owned by Red Wing.
    I went to the Red Wing store last week to get some new safety shoes and tried on several boots. I have a narrow foot and they had a Red Wing in a B width that fit like a glove.

If you go to a company store, they have an electronic foot measuring machine, which you stand on. It will show the distribution of weight on the soles of your feet, the pressure points, and sizes of each in all sorts of dimensions, and recommend an insert for each foot for the boot.
    My stalking boots are Irish Setter - irrespective of the width issue, they are very comfortable indeed. (May not help you, but I ordered mine from Cabelas)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I have wide feet of just under size 11. I have 2 pairs of Meindl high leg boots in size 11. One pair is the Antarktis & I find them to be a fantastic fit with great ankle support, if perhaps slightly heavy. The sole is comparatively quiet too.

The other pair is the Douvre Extreme (high) & I also have a pair of the short ones. They are a very well made boot but the size 11 is too small & I can only wear them with office socks. Remember that this is supposed to be a wide-fitting boot; I should really have got the 11.5 to be comfortable. The sole is very hard & consequently rather noisy, although it lasts forever.

Hope that helps.
    I have similar experience. I went to a shop and the Meindl Softline Top GTX in size 46 was perfect. Same brand but the Island Pro I needed size 47. 46 was just to small. Buying shoes over the net is difficult. If possible I would drive to Altberg have my feet measured and buy there. Keep the measurements and the next time you need boots , you can just order them by Phone.
    Harkila seem to be reasonable true to size. I tried a size 46 and they were O.K. Saw a nice pair of Mountain Hunt Flex by Harkila. Bloody nice boots, not to stiff. A pitty the man didn't have size 46.

Wow!

Many thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Some very useful information for me to ponder over