Thread: Suggestion - Valuation section in classifieds

Suggestion - Valuation section in classifieds

Just a quick suggestion for a feature I have seen on other forums. It might be useful to have a section where you can post details of an item you wish to sell and get an idea of what it may be worth from other members.
    I think I am not the only one to feel that some people price their items optimistically, sometimes genuinely because they don't know what the item is worth. I know you can search though old classified threads to see what similar items have sold for in the past, but I think it would still be a useful tool to have.

Surely it's just more clutter? It's really not difficult to google for all of 30 seconds and get a fairly good idea of value.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Think if you're in the market for something you usually have a good idea of value, and if not I think most of us would find out can't imagine anyone buying something without having a clue of its value.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Sorry to sound like a bit of a dismal Jimmy, but I could also see people using this as a way of running pseudo auctions and getting round other rules of the Classified section.

"A friend is thinking of selling this item - PM me with what you think it's worth".
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Just out of interest why exactly are auction threads against the rules?

You are talking about a pre market which will only reduce vendor flexibility because aspirations will be set (sometimes incorrectly) thus reducing liquidity. The internet already does this and reduces pricing ineffiicency which i why there are so few baragins out there.

In addition, arguments will kick off everytime (over opinions) which will only be settled by someone putting their money where their mouth is, i.e. A market place, which should be imperfect...... I.e. If you price something too high it wont sell.... "The market has spoken"..... It would be entertaining though.....

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by carper99 View Post
    Probably because they can get very messy, very quickly!

For example:
    Do you go off the time stamp on the post, or the time stamp on a PM (which, of course, none of the other bidders can see)?
    If he tells you he received a bid via PM, how do you know that the seller isn't simply talking up the price of his own item?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Only allowing bids in the thread would solve that problem.

Think the Auction thing is out anyway, probably already been considered & discarded for the reasons already described.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by carper99 View Post
    Go to E-bay if you want to bid for items. On here it is advertised for sale, with a price and usually photographs and normally gets sold with no arguments for us to have to try to sort out, plus we can keep an eye on proceedings much easier.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses